44 ~ Potter

"Why did you change from lunch to breakfast?" Gabe whines.

Rolling my eyes, I eat my French toast. "Because I'm spending the day with Scarlett and you promised me a free meal." It was his lame way to make up for being a constant pain in the ass.

Instantly, he forgets about how tired he is. "What are you two doing?"

"I don't know, probably just watching movies." I don't think she'll be in the mood for much else.

His smirk grows, "Is this like a Netflix and chill situation?"

"Nope, don't even think about it." I warn, like at all.

"I mean, that's what all friends with benefits do. There's no shame in the game." He offers.

Almost choking on my food, I shake my head. "Don't use that word."

"Why? Typically making out on several occasions to the point where you leave evidence qualifies for that word." He says.

"Nope, we're anything but that word. It's degrading and I refuse to use it." I state firmly.

I've had friends with benefits, this ain't that. No matter what we end up being, that word won't be associated with it.

"Then what are you?" He pushes.

"I have no idea." I admit.

We're friends. That much she admits to and I've never had the opportunity to even mention another title.

Not like she wouldn't reject me instantly.

Groaning, I slam my head on the table. "What if that's all she wants?"

A hand slaps my head, "You're an idiot."

"No, I'm a realist." I say, hating the fact it makes sense. "She refuses to be anything more than friends but is all game for the physical action."

If Ronnie hadn't of knocked yesterday, who knows what would've happened.

"You're paranoid."

"No, I'm not." I'm going insane. "She needs to toss me some sort of confirmation because I'm grasping for straws."

Literally nothing. She's been jealous once and it wasn't even a big deal. What if Jake was right? I'm just a distraction from her world of stress.

Laughing, he shakes his head. "Promise me, if I ever get to be as stupid as you, you'll punch me in the balls."

Glaring at him, I stuff my face. "Fuck off, I'm going to enjoy the day you stop loving only yourself."

The bigger the ego, the harder the fall. I would know.

His smile falls, "Don't hold your breath."

Trust me, I won't.

*****

Somehow, I've managed to be stuck in a bed with Scarlett for two days watching the only series I hate.

Harry Potter.

We've finished the entire series and I physically can't handle one more spell or curse that's isn't fuck.

However, she couldn't be happier.

Taking the time to scan her pictures, I'm once again fascinated by the images of her parents.

We've never spoken of them. I know their name, their history, and how they died. I want to bring it up but, just like the whole relationship thing, she jumps before it's even a possible conversation.