51 ~ Oh

"So, tonight's the concert."

"Yup." I grin, tossing mom Ronnie's sleeping bag. "You're sure you're okay with her going out by herself?"

Camping is one thing. Ronnie camping with no family around is totally different, I was shocked when mom said yes.

"Sage will be there." She shrugs before fidgeting uncomfortably, "So about tonight..."

"The concert starts at eight and you already have the address of the hotel and the room number. I'll text check in to let you know I'm okay." I assure her, not liking the look on her face.

We had a deal, there's no backing out now.

"Do you..." She hesitates.

"Do I what?"

"Do you... you know... have..."

"Have what, mom?" I demand, she's making me nervous.

"Do you have protection? God, I thought you were smarter than this." She spits out, turning red in the face.

Oh, no. She's choosing now to be open about this sorta thing? It's a little too late if I do say so myself. "Mom... um, you don't have to worry about that right now."

Plus, I already packed some, but she doesn't need to know that. I mean it, this isn't the type of thing we'll do so early on.

"Ashton, it's best to be sa-"

"Safe, yes I know. I've done it before, I know how to put it on and how to act accordingly." I rush out, suddenly finding it difficult to look her in the eyes. When I wanted to be closer to my mom this isn't what I had in mind.

We stand there awkwardly for a moment before my phone rings. Desperate for something to cut the tension, I answer immediately. "So, when you go away tonight are you planning on screwing before or after the concert?"

"Gabe, you know most of the time I want to kick your ass!" I seethe, trying to angle the phone so mom can't hear.

The look on her face tells me it's too late. Great.

"Or are you going to skip that lousy concert and get right to business."

God, he just doesn't shut up. "I'm going to the concert then dinner so shut the hell up before I literally knock you into next week."

He snickers, clearly amused with himself. "Don't be such a bore, Ashton, we all know it's bound to happen."

"Tonight is going to be a night of peace and relaxation away from the kids and you dumbasses. I won't let your loud, vulgar mouth spew horrible words out and ruin it. So. Shut. Up." Gabe will not ruin our first date. I want to make it to the third before he taints things.

"See you in an hour, lover boy." He teases before hanging up.

I growl, looking up to find a smug mom smirking at me.

"Have a nice night, Hun." She pecks my cheek before sauntering down the hall.

What a nightmare.

*****

Easton
Coach is still waiting for your decision.

Ash
You already know my decision

Easton
Yeah, well it's a stupid one.

Ash
No, it's not. I'll see you next summer.

"Sage, where the hell is the first aid kit?" Scarlett screeches, running downstairs.

"In the car, how many times are you going to ask?" He replies, not bothering to look up from Ella's laptop as they watch vines.