48 ~ Monster

Watching Scarlett hold onto the counter for dear life, my heart stands still.

Is she okay?

"Dude, don't." Gabe says from beside her as I walk forward.

Ignoring him, I rest a hand on her back, rubbing small, soothing circles into her skin. I'm shoved away and I get pissed, thinking it was Gabe before I realize it was Scarlett.

She shoved me away.

"What happened?" Sage demands, handing her a glass of water.

"I don't know exactly, I got here as he was leaving." Gabe says, offering her a towel.

Who was here?

I want to scream for answers, my mind is working in overdrive, but she turns around and everything vanishes. She looks horrible.

"The girls need to get out of here, now." She states, avoiding eye contact with me.

"They can go to my house." I offer, clearing my throat. Mom and Dad aren't doing anything tonight.

"I'll take them." Sage says, eager to calm her down.

She visibly relaxes and I'm about to move for her again when Gabe speaks up, "Ashton, go with him."

Dude, I just want to be with my girlfriend. Screw off.

"I don't want him alone, take the twins too" Scarlett agrees with him.

She wants space.

I wait for her to send Gabe away, but she doesn't, fixating on her water. Fine, if she wants space, I'll give her space. Sending Gabe a threatening glare, I head for the door. But not before I glance back at her.

She'll be okay.

The ride is silent, the twins refuse to say a word while Sage grips the wheel so hard his knuckles are white. They know what's going on, but they won't share anything.

I need to know what happened.

What made her so scared that she threw up?

Maybe it was something to do with custody. But that doesn't explain the music or the open front door.

Taking the girls inside, I find mom making a cake. "Can the girls stay here tonight?"

She jumps, "Ashton, knock next time. What happened to your plans?"

Shutting the door, I wince. "Something happened and Scarlett doesn't want Saffron to be worried."

"Is she alright?" Mom demands.

"I don't know, but... but I think it might have something to do with custody. She was really shaken." I explain softly.

"Oh, Hun, go be with her." She says, grabbing hold of my hand for a tight squeeze.

Nodding, I hurry outside to find the boys the same way I left them. Silent.

Arriving back at the Rhodes residence, the twins go back to the basement while Sage follows me up the stairs. Hopefully Scarlett will be in a more relaxed state of mind.

Voices stop me right outside her door.

"You would've done the same thing for me, Letty, and it's nothing to thank me for. In my mind you've always been my friend." Gabe offers and I relax.

Good, it's about time they've talked things through.

"Well, thank you anyways." Scarlett's muffled voice replies.