47 ~ Kiss

"Ashy, you need to get ready!" Ronnie reminds me for the thousandth time.

I don't blame her, I get excited every time I go to the Rhodes house too. Ronnie is obsessed with them. Saffron is her best friend. Sage let's her play his drums, even though she has no idea what she's doing. Sterling does science experiments with her, despite Scarlett's numerous protests. Silver taught her to play video games and Scarlett is the older sister she's always wanted.

If I didn't love Scarlett even more than she did, I'd be offended.

"Ronz, Sage is picking us up." I remind her again.

She rolls her eyes, running to put her bag downstairs. I wonder what she does when I'm not home because she loves to harass me.

Dad knocks on my door as he walks in, closing it behind him.

"What's up, Dad?" I ask, setting my phone down.

"What exactly are you two doing again?"

"Sage and I are taking the girls out to a late lunch and a movie. Sorta like a little date."

He seems pleasantly surprised by our plans; I've never done something like this for Ronnie before. "Are you two spending the night at Scarlett's?"

"Yeah, mom said it was okay." He nods his head, somewhat unsure of what to say. "We don't do anything besides sleep."

And kiss.

I don't know why I feel the need to tell him that but the last thing I need for them to get the wrong idea. I don't want to lose my ability to stay over. I'd love to do other things, but I don't think either of us are ready for that yet.

He nods again, "So how are you and Scarlett?"

I can tell he's uncomfortable. I've never really had this conversation with him, or really any meaningful conversation with in in the last year. Things between us since the move have gotten better but it's still weird at times.

"She's amazing." And beautiful, smart, funny, sassy and so much more.

"Are you happy?"

That question takes me by surprise, no one's asked me that. I've gotten a lot of congratulations and pats on the back, but this means more than all of that combined.

"Absolutely, I never thought I could be this happy." Dad's still nodding his head and I mentally slap myself for putting my foot in my mouth. "It's not that I wasn't happy before. It just this is different."

He stops nodding his head like a bobble head, so I continue. "It's given me perspective. I spent two years acting like a punk and then thought my life was over. But she's three times the person I'll ever be. She makes me want to be better."

I've never tried this hard in my life.

"I'm proud of you, son." I'm stunned as he engulfs me in a hug.

I hug him back, those words echoing in my mind. Things weren't always this awkward but once you break a bond it's pretty hard to rebuild it. But he's my dad, it won't be like this forever.

He goes to get up, but I keep my arms around him, "I'm sorry, Dad."

I've said it before, but I've never meant those words as much as I do right now. I took my parents for granted without ever realizing it might've been the last time I talked to them. That's the most terrifying thought I've had stuck in my mind since Scarlett told me about her parents.

Not being able to say goodbye. Or worse, leaving angry. Countless times I left screaming about how much I hated him and hoped he would just leave. What I wouldn't give to take it all back.