7 ~ Bored

I've been here all of five minutes and I'm bored.

Music is blaring, people I don't know walking by me in an unsteady pattern and if one more person spills beer on me I'm going to have a heart attack. I've been to plenty of parties where I know no one so why am I ready to go home?

Six different people have tried to start a conversation with me, I'm just not feeling it. They always land flat, even though I love talking about football. The problem is most girls don't know what they're talking about.

I stare at Ana, who's trying her hardest to flirt with me. A part of me wants to play along just for the hell of it but I can't. Sage's story was more than enough for me to lose interest, I hate people who can't take a hint. 

"Look, Ana, I'm not interested so go find someone else." I announce, cutting her off in the middle of a story. I don't care about the time her car towed because she didn't understand tire pressure was an easy fix.

Watching paint dry is more exciting than this conversation, I would know.

Her face goes blank as she walks away, not even bothering to convince me. That's the best thing she's done all night. Just when I think I'm going to catch a break a blonde walks up to me, offering a sly smile. It takes me a minute to register her as Amber Riley.

An easy smirk works its way onto my face, but I have to force it to stay, she just looks boring. Hot, but definitely boring. "What's up?"

She latches onto my arm, batting her eyelashes furiously. "Why the long face Ashy, you're the school's new hero." 

In my mind I can see how the night could go. I could flirt with her, say all the right things, not that I think I need to say much. We'd go upstairs, fool around and then never mention it again. At least, I would never mention it again because I doubt It'd even be worth remembering.

IInstead I brush her hand off me, finding James on the other end of the room. "Excuse me."

I can hear her mumble under her breath, but I'm already gone. James waves at me, clearly annoyed by something.

"What's wrong with you?" I ask, taking a slow sip of my drink.

He offers me a sideways glance. "Avery."

Oh, God, I'd gladly go back to suffering through a conversation with Amber over this. I'd tell him to break up with her, but I'm beginning to think he's scared of the girl. Honestly, I don't blame him. Avery may be crazy, but she brings a whole new level of intensity. "What happened?" 

James doesn't look back over, "Because I talked to Stella. Heaven forbid I have a civil conversation with another human being. Not like she hasn't thrown herself at you all week."

Looks like Avery's not as stupid as I thought she was.

Glancing around the room, I can't find the she demon anywhere. What I do get is a front row view of Stella and James making eye contact. They both turn red in the face, Stella chugging the contents of her cup as she looks away

This is just too much for me, something's gotta happen here. 

"Why not date her?"

James shrugs, "Why didn't you hook up with Amber?"

Ouch, honestly I don't have an answer myself. "Too sore, I'd hate to underperform."