16 ~ Blessed

"Hola."

I smile, grateful to hear the familiar, warm voice through mom's phone.

"Abuela, how are you?" I ask, motioning for Ronnie to join me.

We usually spend thanksgiving with her, or at least we used to. We couldn't book tickets in time and she's waiting till Christmas to visit. I also think she simply wants to give us more time to adjust.

Give me more time.

Abuela has always been the person I've hid from the most in life. Ever since the day I met her, when I ruined her flower garden, she's offered wisdom. Even if I wasn't ready to hear it.

"I'm good, mi Amor, simply watching the parade." She offers kindly.

A tradition we used to do together, sighing my eyes flick up to our own tv. "Same."

But it's not really the same.

"Abuela!" Ronnie cries, barreling into the room.

"Hola, my child. How is your new school?" She chuckles, always ready for my sister's energy.

God bless her.

Ronnie snacks on a pear, "Amazing. I have a friend, her names Saffy."

"Wonderful, is your brother having the same luck?"

She knows Ronnie won't lie. "Yeah, actually he's friends with her sister-"

"And brothers." I finish, not wanting my grandmother on the same love blind path as my mother.

We're friends.

She chuckles, "Ah, yes, your friend."

Why did she use the singular word, "I have friends."

I feel like a two-year-old. What's next, I stomp my foot and storm off?

"Mi Amor, tell me about them." 

So I do, "Ella and Stella are best friends. James is dating Stella, I basically helped them get together, and Ella is with Sage but they're not dating."

"Sounds complicated."

"Very much so." I agree, remembering the times I would go with her to get her hair done and gossip with the salon ladies. "Sage is one of five kids. Saffron is the youngest."

"She's my friend Abuela, we do everything together." Ronnie interjects.

She's not kidding. I've never seen my sister so attached to someone, but then again the move was difficult.

"And then there's Sterling and Silver, twins who act nothing alike but are totally the same. Sage is probably becoming my best friend though."

Things are easy, no invasive questions.

"He sounds wonderful, I'm happy you found him." Abuela says as mom walks into the room, mashed potatoes all over her face.

Looks like dad's taking over the food prep.

"So am I." She agrees.

Me too.

"And then there's Scarlett!" Ronnie yells, eating some of the potato falling off of mom.

Yeah, I guess I should mention her. "Yeah, she's in my grade. We've become pretty good friends."

"He thinks she's pretty." Ronnie giggles, running from the room.

"I do not!" James is gonna get an earful when I see him.

"Ashton Brecken!" My Mom and Abuela scold at the same time.