42 ~ Bliss

"Coach, you got a sec?" I ask, knocking on his office door Thursday morning.

He grunts, not looking up from the paper. I take that as a yes and shut the door behind me. Walking up, I rest a cup on his desk. "I got it black with sugar, just the way you like it."

He eyes the coffee before looking at me, "What has you smiling like it's your birthday?"

Man, I guess I really am cheesin' hard. "I think I'm going to accept the offer."

His eyes go wide, dropping the paper. "No shit, you liked it?"

"I loved it. They had everything under the sun for me to use and the campus felt just like home. The distance is great, and the team really can't get any better." I state, still in a daze.

"What was the selling point?"

My smile falters. "Um, they didn't ignore my past. They touched on it and noted how I've changed."

That's what sold me. They might have fancy equipment and a killer record, but they didn't fluff up my ego. They put the facts on the table, acknowledged them, and then moved on. Mom, Dad, and I have spent days talking about it and honestly, it's too good to pass up. It's a future I'm willing to chase with everything in me.

They wanted me, dirty secrets and all, and that means more than anything else they could've offered.

He nods appreciatively, "Sounds like someone's happy they went."

"I am, thank you so much for that pep talk and for taking a chance on me." I reply honestly. "I owe it all to you."

Shrugging, he points to my hands. "Based off the iced coffee, I'd guess you've got a girl to see."

Grinning, I head for the door. "That I do, Coach."

That I do.

Finding Scarlett isn't difficult. Somehow today is the day the Rhodes kids are early to school. Meaning she's all alone at their lockers.

Grinning, I watch her grab her books. It's different seeing her with iron curled hair, but as long as I can still play with it, I won't complain.

"Good morning!" I chirp, wrapping my arms around her as I spin around. She squeals as I set her back down, her excitement doubling when I hand her the coffee.

"What has you in such a good mood?" She questions, taking a sip.

Trying to play it cool, I shrug, "What's there not to be happy about? I'm alive. I'm with you. I brought doughnuts."

Shaking the bag in my hand, I try to calm down. In two years, I'm going to be attending an SEC school on scholarship to play football. Nothing major.

Scarlett raises an eyebrow and I give in. "Alright." Making sure no one else is around, I continue. "How do you feel about driving three hours?"

Because that's sorta an important factor.

"It depends on what for."

"What if it was to see me?" I ask, hoping she gets the picture. It would be really embarrassing if she rejected me.

Coughing, her eyes widen. I watch the disbelief flash over her face. At least she can understand this.

"Oh my God!" She cries, flinging herself onto me.

Wrapping my arms around her, I can't help but lift her up.

"That's amazing."

This is amazing. For the first time in forever, everything feels right.