40 ~ Gay

I'm honestly at a loss for words, my life is pretty good.

I haven't gotten another letter from my father. School is great and Scarlett is still as awesome as wonderful.

With basketball over, I have a solid week of nothing until baseball starts and I plan on taking full advantage of my break.

Waiting for Scar in the parking lot after school, I notice Silver walking towards their car alone. Throwing my bag in the back, I decide to meet him halfway. However, I panic when he gets dragged into a doorway.

Being cautious, I sneak up, knowing it wasn't Sterling. As I get closer, I hear voices.

"Do you want to hang out tonight?"

There's silence before I can hear Silver groan. "Look, man, I've told you, I don't want to hang out."

"That's not what you said when-" the voice tries to protest.

What the hell is going on? More importantly, who does this guy think he is?

"Nothing, I don't want to hang out with you." Silver cuts in, but his voice sounds weak.

"But-"

"But nothing. I don't even know if I'm gay and you aren't helping!" He snaps and instantly I make sure no one else is around.

Besides a few girls standing by their car, we're good.

"Look, man, I get it. It's weird, but you shouldn't fight it." The voice offers and there's a bit of silence before I hear feet scuffing the ground.

In a panic, I try to retreat, making it to the main doorway before a voice calls me.

"Ashton!"

Oh shit, turning around, I face a flushed Silver. "Silv, I was just looking for you."

My eyes flick between him and the other guy, who's slowly backing up. I'm further shocked when I realize it's Wilson, the kid who tackled him on the field.

Closing the space between me and Silver, I notice the paranoid gleam in his eyes. Hair everywhere but he leans against the wall, trying to play it cool.

"You alright?" I ask him, deciding now isn't the time.

Slowly, he nods. "Yeah, Wilson just had my jersey."

When he lies, he scratches his left wrist I notice, tucking that information away for later.

Not wanting to point out he doesn't have a jersey, I hug him. He freezes and I'm afraid I've given myself away, but he hugs me back. "I love you, kid. You know that, right?"

Smirking up at me, I'm relieved to know the old Silver is back. "Not as much as you love Scarlett, but yeah, I got the picture." 

Yeah, he's back.

"Now, can you let me go? You're ruining my street cred with the ladies." He winks to a few freshmen walking by.

I chuckle, pretending to not notice the pointed glance he sends my way as I let go.

In that moment Scarlett appears, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear that the wind won't leave alone.

"There you are, Silver, everyone's waiting in the car." She says, pointing to their family.

"Oh, um..." He begins to scratch his wrist again.

"Sorry, Sweetheart, we just got to talking." I cut in.

She eyes us before hugging him. "Okay, please don't forget to wash your laundry when you get home. And I'll know if Sterling or Sam does it so be honest." She lectures her brother while he eyes me anxiously again.