i. deep end

CHAPTER ONE!── "deep end"

CHAPTER ONE!──
"deep end"

❁❀❁❀❁

               OLIVIA KINSLEY WAS not meant to be a mother. Anyone who knew the girl would tell you this. The only mother she's ever known had not given her the best representation of motherhood. She grew up in a cold manor, ones where the walls are filled with stories that could rival those in horror movies.

She never desired to be a mother, a deep fear inside of her, a question she can never shake away always at the back of her head. Will you be just like them?

It's nagging, pressing on her skin like tar sticking to her. There had always been a fear of darkness, of the unsure and Olivia had simply faced too much of it for her not to be afraid, to be terrified, like a child hiding under the covers in fear of the monsters under the bed. Evil and darkness is all she knows and she fears that's all she will teach her children.

She pulled her knees against her chest and so she let the tears fall crying not only for herself but for the growing life inside of her ─ crying for what could be and what was. She felt madam Pomfrey wrap a comforting arm around her shoulder, pity in her eyes.

Olivia hates pity. She hates it more than hate.

"It's alright, dear," the woman comforted as she engulfed the younger girl in a hug. "It'll be alright."

But was it? Was it really alright? It would be so simple. She could get rid of it, could act like it never happened, learn to become numb. She's good at that ─ good at pretending and ignoring.

But could she really? Would she ever be able to forgive herself? Can she learn to live with the what ifs that would eventually follow her for the rest of her life. What if she had been a little braver, a little bolder?

"Olivia," the mediwitch called again, her voice softer than it had ever been. "Can you tell me who the father is?"

Olivia shut her eyes. She had almost completely forgotten. Her child had a father. It was a mistake, one made with alcohol fueling her system, making her unknowingly make life changing decisions she didn't quite understand the consequence to. They were both drunk and Olivia had barely spoken to him, never looked a second glance in his direction. He had just been another boy, one she hadn't particularly cared about until that night.

God, she's about to tell him that he's a father.

"Miss Kinsley?" The mediwitch pressed softly, patiently waiting for her to gather her thoughts.

"James Potter."

❀❁

               JAMES POTTER ISN'T known for his ability to let the women he forms an interest in go lightly. It simply wasn't in his nature. His love life had always been much like a car crash in which he falls too fast and is left with the wreckage he made.