──twenty two

"THERE'S ONLY ONE BED."

"Yes, I can see that. I have eyes."

James can only roll his eyes at the woman's sudden shift in mood considering not a minute ago, she had been excitedly telling him all the things she and Euphemia had done in the muggle mall.

"I can stay in the guest room if you want," he offers. "I'm sorry about my parents. They're convinced we're dating."

Olivia, who lay spread in the middle of the bed lifted her head to meet his eyes. "It's fine. Remus is right. We've already fucked. There's really no point with staying in different rooms."

Okay. So she's tired. He has spent so much time studying her and observing her that it's very easy for him to tell what she's feeling by the way she talks and the sound of her voice.

He walked over to where her legs hang at the end of the bed, taking off her shoes and placing them by door.

"Will you take a shower first?" He asked her as his hands massaged her sore feet. Who knew being pregnant caused your feet to sore?

"No, but I'll change." She holds her hands up for him to take, her baby bump making it very hard to pull herself up. "Help me up."

James did as he was told and helped her to her feet. Olivia grabbed her sleeping clothes from her trunk before heading to the bathroom.

He can't help but think how easy this is. They work well together and he can't stop himself imagining a life where this is their normal. Hopefully, in the near future, it will be but for now, James is content with what he has.

"Do you want snacks before going to bed?" He calls after her as she shuts the door.

Almost immediately, the door cracks open as Olivia pops her head out, a childish smile on her face, one completely different from the tired frown she wore a few minutes ago.

"Do you have avocado?" She asks and James is sure that if she had been a dog, her tail would be wagging excitedly.

Trust food to bring Olivia Kinsley out of her pregnancy moods.

"I'm sure there's some."

If possible, her smile widens. "I would love an avocado milkshake."

James' eyes drift to the giant wall clock that shows it's way past 12 AM. Everyone is sure to be asleep by now and definitely not the time to be making milkshakes.

However, the hopeful look in Olivia's eyes made him nod his head. "Sure."

With another smile from her, the door shuts again and James quickly heads to the kitchen. As he predicted, all lights have been turned off. He quietly grabbed the milk, avocado and ice from the fridge as he fixed the blender.

"Cravings?" A soft voice said, almost making the Gryffindor jump as he found his mother standing by the edge of the countertop, a warm tea in her hands and a comfortable robe wrapping her body.

"Yes," he answers. "Her mood swings are all around, but thankfully, she doesn't have morning sickness anymore."

The woman smiles proudly at his son, seeing the sleepy way in which his eyelids flutter. He's tired, it's obvious, but here he is at almost one in the morning, preparing a milkshake. "You should try making her listen to music to make her relax. It helped a whole lot for me."

The younger Potter nods as he adds the avocados. James can't help but feel slightly nervous to be in the presence of his mother alone. This would be the first time they got to talk face to face since he found out he would be a father. A part of him is terrified that he had let them down. Perhaps now is the time to talk about the things they never could talk about in letters.