── 𝗳𝗶𝗳𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍
┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

OLIVIA IS SLOWLY BUT SURELY losing her damn mind. She's explained the same thing to Lucas about six times already and the boy seems to still not be able to grasp the very simple concept. She knew the little boy had a hard time with school, but she didn't know it was this bad. However, Olivia didn't raise her voice. She doesn't use a condescending voice and she makes sure to keep her tone calm and even. She carefully and patiently explains it again, waiting for Lucas to nod his head before she continues on.

She adores the little boy. She honestly, truly does, however, patience is not her biggest forte and it's slowly thinning. It's often Remus to help him with his homework, but he's currently stuck in bed due to high fever, and she figured, how bad can it be to help the eleven year old with his schoolwork?

Very bad, as Olivia hadn't anticipated.

"Do you get it now, Lucas?" She asked calmly as she sat crisscross on the floor while Lucas lay on his stomach with his feet propped up, the two of them in Olivia's bedroom while James and Sirius practiced for their upcoming match and Peter napped on the couch outside.

Lucas bit his lip nervously, wondering if he should tell the truth, but seeing the encouraging look on Olivia's, he finally shook his head shamefully, letting her know that he does, in fact, still don't understand.

Olivia smiled sadly before pushing his textbooks and parchment away. She's not sure what the problem is, but what she is sure of is that it's a lot more than him being slow to understand concepts. Olivia knew Lucas. He's quite smart and intuitive so she knew that there has to be a bigger problem.

"Can you tell me what the problem is?" She asked him softly, taking the quill from his hand and setting it down.

Lucas seems hesitant to talk, but he knows he can trust Olivia. The girl had proven herself to be a very responsible and sensible adult figure in his life. She would not make fun of him. "I—I don't know how to read," he muttered so quietly she almost didn't hear it.

Olivia's eyebrows furrowed together. Lucas is already eleven. Surely he would have known already how to read. If he didn't, then why hadn't anyone done something to help him? "Did you not learn the alphabet when you were younger?"

Lucas shook his head. "The orphanage didn't have enough staff or money to send us to schools or give us lessons."

"Why didn't you tell anyone?" She asked, reaching over to push his curls out of his face.

Lucas shrugged as he continued looking down shamefully. "When I try to read, it's like the words are dancing. Or—or the words are all jumbled up."

"Can you try writing your name here," she says, handing him a parchment and quill. She wants to understand what truly is happening. As soon as he said that the words were dancing, Olivia already had an idea on what's happening.

Lucas took the quill and wrote his name the best way he can before showing it to Olivia.

acslu rngmao

No one would ever think it's supposed to spell Lucas Morgan. As soon as he said that the words were dancing, Olivia already had an idea on what's happening and this is only confirming it. However, she's not a professional and so she will not give a diagnosis. She figured she can always talk to James about it and the two of them can approach madam Pomprey later on.

"Hey," she called to him softly to make him look up at her. "It's nothing to be ashamed of, okay? We'll figure something out."

Shyly, Lucas nodded his head.