──twenty nine

twenty nine

"YOU HAVE TO STOP DOING THIS, MAX" Amara said in hushed whispers, arms tightly holding on to her little brother's shoulders. "You can't keep doing this."

The five year old's eyes were teary as he listened to his older sister. "I'm sowwy."

Olivia sat on the edge of the bed where her younger self's sleeping form lay on her stomach, not on her back, because her back is littered with bruises and gushes.

Amara's eyes softened. "I know you're young, Max, and you should be playing but you have to understand. I can't watch over you guys forever. I'm leaving for Hogwarts in a few days and you'll be left here with Samuel and Olivia."

"I undewstand," Maxwell muttered.

He had developed his speech late. It wasn't until he was eight that his words started to become clearer, unlike Olivia, who had begun talking almost perfectly at the mere age of four. It was something their parents loved to hold over his head.

"You got Olivia in trouble today," Amara explained softly, but slowly, to make sure Maxwell understood. "You guys have to protect each other, not be the reason the other got hurt, do you understand?"

The five year old boy nodded and Olivia watched them intently, watched the desperation and worry in Amara's eyes, desperation that he understood what it meant to make mistakes in this family and worry of what would happen to her siblings with her gone.

But what stuck with Olivia was the look in Maxwell's. He was five. He was too young yet his eyes held a determination in them, held knowledge no five year old should know. He was too young and yet he was forced to grow up too quickly, become his sister's protector.

The memory changed then and before Olivia could process what was happening, she's in the manor's ballroom, surrounded by people fake laughing and fake smiling all the while hating those they call friends. This time, it's a ten year old Maxwell in front of her and in front of him stood nine year old Regulus Black.

Olivia remembers it to be a Christmas gala and if she looked, she's sure she can find her younger self in a corner with Samuel, whom she used to always tail in these kinds of things. Mostly because Samuel always preferred the quiet and so does Olivia. But she didn't bother looking for herself, instead she focussed on the two little boys in front of her, wide grins on their faces.

"What house do you think you'll be?" Regulus asked shyly, dark hair swept back elegantly and black suit fitting his body like a glove.

"Definitely slytherin!" Maxwell replied enthusiastically, a bright smile on his face. He too had been styled by his parents to look presentable. His own hair had been gelled to the side and though his suit is definitely more wrinkled than Regulus', it obviously cost a fortune.

"Me too!" Regulus says excitedly, already starting to shake off his shyness.

Olivia couldn't help but smile at the two. She instantly realized why Maxwell was showing her this certain memory. The innocence she had been looking for in her twin brother's eyes was present now, that genuine happiness and childlike innocence.

Regulus brought him back to the childhood he missed. Olivia quickly realized that perhaps it's only Regulus Black that truly understood who Maxwell Kinsley is. With him, Maxwell could be himself. Olivia knew that not even she gets that privilege. Maxwell thinks of himself as Olivia's protector, her older brother. He doesn't allow himself to be weak in front of her.

And Olivia can't help but hate herself a little for it.

"My older brother wants to be in Gryffindor, though," Regulus says and the sudden sadness in his face at the reminder is apparent. "He's going next year like you."