Natural Beauty

"I think I'm in love, " I say dreamily.

"No, Stella, you're not. You're just distracted by his looks, " Serafina replies seriously.

"He's just so handsome. And sweet. And he loves my hugs, " I gush as I admire him from afar.

"You can't. You know you can't."

"Why not? He's perfect!"

"No, he's not! He's a pain in the ass. Look at him."

I look up to see him bullying his brother and pushing him to the ground.

"So he's a little rough around the edges, I can help him, " I insist.

"You can't save everyone Stella, " Serafina says sadly.

Zoey suddenly throws her head back and groans, "God, you two are so dramatic."

I tear my gaze away from the two golden retriever puppies to glare at her.

"You have two dogs at home Stella, you're not getting another one."

A week had passed and we were at Petsmart picking up some dog food.
It was supposed to be a quick stop on the way home but I got distracted by a handsome little blondie. I spent about 20 minutes playing with him before Serafina finally had enough and dragged me away to the check-out line.

Now I was just pining for him as we waited to cash.

"Alright, alright, " I say grumpily, " I won't get him."

"Good. Now let's pay and get out of here before she changes her mind, " Zoey says to Serafina.

We pay for the items and Zoey basically drags me out of the store before I could even glance at my handsome little boy one last time.

On the walk to my house, Serafina was telling us about an argument she had with her little sister.

"So then I told her to shut her pie-hole before I shove her head in th-"Serafina's story is suddenly cut short by Zoey's ringtone.

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard-

"-Hello? Oh! Hi baby."

A shy grin appears on her face, accompanied by rosy cheeks at the sound of Matt's voice. Serafina and I give her suggestive smirks, to which she pays no mind as she walks off to have her conversation in private.

"Ughh. I never thought I'd see the day where Zoey, Zoey off all people, would call her grown-ass boyfriend, baby," Serafina remarks with a disappointed shake of her head.

"What? I think it's cute," I say with a small smile.

She rolls her eyes at me," Oh please. You think everything is cute. Even that big-headed Axel."

My mouth drops open in shock and I'm quick to reply," He IS cute!"

"He's annoying, that's what."

I frown and scour my brain for a comeback that will defend Axel's honor. One minute later and the best response I can come with is:

"You're annoying, "I reply bitterly.

Yeah. Not my brightest moment.

She laughs at my pitiful attempt and says in her most sarcastic tone," Ouch Stella, you really got me with that one."

I frown and push her away from me just as Zoey reappears.

"Great. Now that you're back from your ooey-gooey call, can I continue my story?"Serafina asks and before either of us can respond, she continues," So as I was saying, I told her to shut her stupid face before I-"