Chapter 9

Deep in the forest, where the sound of nights was only filled with the cold storm. Taiga was carrying Iliya; Taiga was hastening her steps because of her sister who was hardly breathing Iliya was unconscious; her body was heating up due to the stress and the weather.

Alfred was running behind Taiga, "Taiga, I can't catch up it is too cold!"

"Man up! You are wearing her coat!"

Alfred kept on running; he looked away, trying to hide his face in embarrassment. Taiga kept on running, she hopped over fallen trees and stumps, but tripped and fell, she grunted as she tried to get up once again on her feet.

"Taiga, you alright?!" Alfred said catching up toward her.

Taiga's hands were filled with scars after falling down on the hard ground, her blood started dripping from her hands. "You are hurt!"

She raised her head and looked at Alfred, her eyes were filled with tiredness but when she heard her sister's breathing in her ears; she just couldn't bear to stay in the ground any longer, with all the strength she had she stood up and continued running. The storm was too strong and she could not see clearly. Whilst running a part of her pants were torn off. She clenched her teeth, and kept on walking her feet was buried underneath the heavy snow.

She stopped for a while and turned her head back, "are you coming or not?!" she shouted.

Alfred followed Taiga; her steps were slower this time allowing Alfred to catch up to her easier, "Can't you turn into a lion?" Alfred asked Taiga shook her head, "my power is limited, if I use too much, I won't be able to carry Iliya."

Iliya started coughing, "We've got to hurry, is there anywhere?!" Alfred said Taiga looked ahead She could see an abandoned house, "There."

Taiga walked side-to-side with Alfred, Taiga took another few steps slowly, and nearly tripped. The wind started blowing even more violently across the night. Soon, Taiga went inside the small house, and Alfred followed in behind her and closed the door.

"It's freezing cold!" Taiga exclaimed, she slowly lay her sister down; took off her coat and covered her sister with it as a makeshift blanket. Near her, she could see a fireplace. She went near it and saw some sticks near it. She attempted making a fire, but her hand was hurt. She couldn't do it.

"You rest, take care of your sister," Alfred said, trying to help Taiga.

Taiga moved away, she looked at her hands in fear, there were a lot of scratch marks, and her hands were bruised and bleeding.

"You know, Alfred..." Taiga said, her eyes glistening with tears.

"What is it, Taiga?"

"We are supposed to heal faster than others, but it seems I have used too much energy. I'm not healing."

Alfred started to light a fire, a small flame ignited from the log of wood.

"Are you sure you are alright?" Alfred asked, turning his head.

"I am sure..." Taiga trailed off, tears dripping down her cheeks.

"Huh?"

Taiga wiped off her tears, "You know, back when we were little, Icy would always hold my hand."

Taiga dragged herself toward the wall, "But now, it seems like we are... separated, I mean I am still the baby sister she always loves but... it seemed different now," she smiled bitterly and closed her eyes.