Chapter 13

Bryson 

"Mani chill," I mugged her. "Got people thinking I don't feed you or something."

"Your food's not this good," she said with a mouthful of food. She's in here scarfing down Ree's cooking like she's been starving. 

"I know that but I keep you fed."

"Takeout every night isn't food," Ree little ass said coming out of my kitchen. 

"Then what the fuck is it Ree?" I mugged her next. 

"Aht aht! Don't play with me," she matched my glare. "That stuff is tiresome and not healthy. Nothing beats a good home cooked meal."

"You right," I said rubbing my stomach. "You should cook for me more often."

"I only cook for you because of my Mani."

"You wouldn't know her because of me what the fuck?"

"Bad bubba," Mani popped me on the mouth. Ree does it when I curse in front of her now she picked up the habit. Both of em drive me crazy. It's been a couple weeks and Ree's been around a lot for Mani. Those two are so close it's crazy. Mani calls me more just to try and talk to her. I got tired of being left out on the three way calls so I just gave them each other number. She calls Ree all day just to talk. It's cute but a bit annoying when we're together and I'm trying to get some. 

"Good job Mani," Ree high fived her. 

"Iight y'all can get out my house now," I shooed them off. 

"You'll miss us," Mani sassed before sashaying away. I mugged her and Ree who was laughing at the door. Ree wanted to have a 'girl's only' day with Mani. She's got a three day weekend from school so she'll be here a couple days. I'm cool with it since I've got moves to make. 

It's been cool having Ree stick around. Having someone I know who's trustworthy around Mani gives me some breathing room. I'm always on edge about someone hurting her that I shield her. Lock her away. I'm too scared to bring her around the fam. I know they wouldn't hurt her. But involving them means my two world's won't be separate. Having her stay with my mom keeps her away from the Haynes life. From my life. Ree's the only person I let come in between the two. And I don't know why. 

My phone started ringing kicking me out of my thoughts. "Yeah?" I answered. 

"The hell you at nigga?" AJ fussed. "You know we gotta back Meech up."

"Yeah man I know. I got a bit caught up but I'm on my way out the door."

"Doing what? You were with Ree again? She's been spending the night a lot lately huh?"

"It's not like that," I gritted. This bible thumping bitch has been bothering me about Ree since he came over here unannounced one time and she was here in one of my shirts. I told him it's just sex but the asshole won't let up.

"Mhmm. Yo, can I be the best man at your wedding?"

"Fuck you." I hung up as he started laughing. Shit ain't even funny. I'm not the relationship type. Tried it before. Shit is dead. Me and Ree are on the same page and that's all that matters. 

Rhianna

"Ready for our girls only day?" I asked Mani who was smiling adorably in the backseat. 

"Yes!" Mani yelled. I laughed and pulled off. Mani has been my little shadow for weeks now and I love it. I was never kid crazy like Essence but I wasn't particularly close or fond of them either. Being an only child I was never around young kids much. But Mani is so vibrant it's hard not to love her.