Chapter 2

Mason quietly entered the room, staring and waiting patiently, as the two nurses cleaned up his mate as best as they could.

Once they were done, they both left the room, leaving him alone with his mate, closing the door behind them.

Moving forward, he grabbed a chair, placing it beside her bed, sitting down and slowly picking up the limp hand of his mate, drawing soothing circles on her skin.

He gazed at all the machinery and tubes dwarfing his mate, she looked so fragile lying there.

His wolf howled out to his mate.

He continued to sit there, holding her small hand in his, taking in every feature of his mate.

Her dirty dark hair, her small pixie features, the paleness of her skin.

Even under all the layers of swelling and bruising, to him she was beautiful.

Lifting her hand up to his lips, he placed a gentle kiss in the palm of her hand, tears silently brimming down his face, "Please fight for us..." He whispered out towards her.

Leo had entered the room quietly, seeing his friend sitting by his mate's bed.

Looking towards the form, lying so still in the bed, he could barely make out her features.

Moving closer, he placed a hand on his friend's shoulder in comfort, "You know...when I thought we had lost Keira. Eli told me how he brought her back from the brink of death." He quietly spoke up, still gazing at the still form.

"What did he do?" Mason asked, hope flaring in his heart.

Giving his friend's shoulder a squeeze, he let go and walked around to the other side of the bed.

"I'm not going to promise you that this will work." He stated firmly, gazing directly at his friend, "Let's just say...that the closer you are to your mate and continue to talk to her, she might just find the strength to fight."

"Then...that's what I will do." Determination in his voice.

"Remember...it might work or it might not. And it could take days, if not longer." Leo again warned him, "The doctor said she had been tortured for a long time, it's a miracle that she even got this far..."

Mason had already figured that out, he had seen the old and new bruises. Even the loss of weight, an indication to her suffering.

"I need her to be moved to a private room." Mason informed Leo, gazing up at his friend intently, before looking back at his mate.

"It has already been sorted, they are just waiting for you to give the go ahead." Leo replied, at Mason's nod, he began to give out orders.

After settling his mate in a private room, Mason was left again alone with his mate.

Leo had stationed two guards in the hallway, making sure that nobody would bother them, unless required.

Luckily for Mason, Leo knew what they required, making sure that the bed was large enough to accommodate both himself and his mate.

Mason divested himself of his clothes and climbed into the bed, getting as close to his mate as he could, holding her hand gently against his chest, while whispering soothing words to his mate, urging her to come back to him.

For the first few days, she remained attached to all the machines, by the fourth day, the doctor was satisfied that she didn't need them, removing them all, only keeping a drip to feed her the necessary nutrients.

And all during that, Mason remained at her bedside, only leaving her for a few moments to use the bathroom, which was attached to their room in the hospital.

During the day, he had to contend to the coming and goings of doctors, nurses, concerned family and friends.

But at night, it was just him and his mate, a time he looked forward too and even more now that he could keep her lying on his chest, without all the wires and tubes being in the way.

His wolf had already connected with her wolf, bringing a sense of peace to him.

Though she had not woken up yet, it gave him hope that she was still alive and breathing.