Chapter 12

Standing outside the former Alpha and Luna's home, Raven stared out towards the horizon.

It had been a week since she came here to stay with them, a week that she had barely seen her mate, catching only a few glimpses or smelling his scent nearby.

The first few days had been hard on her, she cried herself to sleep, missing having the comfort of her mate beside her.

She had also been told that Vanessa had been punished and warned to stay away from her and Mason.

Slowly she was healing and gaining weight, though not as fast as she should have been.

Then there were the nightmares, she hadn't spoken to anyone around her, about the nightmares, only the doctor.

The images that appeared in her dreams seemed so real and vulgar, she wasn't sure if they were real or not.

And if they were...

How was she going to ever ask her mate to accept her.

Their relationship was already strained as it was and if he ever found out the truth, will he even want her or would he just reject her and go back to that woman.

She had accused him of being with other women, but she was no better than they were, she was after all a slut, just as that vile woman had accused her of being.

Mind you, she didn't do so willingly, what she had dreamt, she could clearly see that she was being forced, raped...

The face of her attacker always a blur, she could only make out his voice, as he spewed venomous words at her, as he violated her body, showing her that he was the one in control, she was at his mercy...

Blinking back tears, she fought hard to stay strong, rubbing her arms, shivering as a cold gust of wind blew past, wishing that she had the comfort and warmth of her mate, to help pull her through this endless nightmare.

Mason watched his mate, he had been coming to the former Alpha's home often, since they brought her there.

He had stayed hidden in the shadows, always waiting and watching.

Rafe and Kara knew that he was there, but never said anything.

That day, he saw his mate outside, relief to see that she was healing, sorrow that he could not hold her.

Seeing the shiver rack her body, he couldn't take it anymore, stepping out of the shadows, "You shouldn't be outside."

Raven gave a surprised gasp, looking up at her mate. Noting the paleness of his skin, the dark rings under his eyes and that he wore all black.

"What are you doing here?" She quietly asked.

Shrugging, keeping his hands in his pockets, "I have always been nearby..." He spoke out gruffly.

"Why?"

Gazing at her with his piercing blue eyes, "You are my mate and I promised to be there for you."

"Do you even want a mate?" She blurted out randomly.

Shocked, his eyes widen in surprise, "Of course." He growled, "I always wanted a mate. I know I made a mistake by going to Vanessa..."

"Don't..." She growled, glaring at him.

"Don't...what?" He asked.

"Don't ever say her name in my presence...it just reminds me what a fool I was." She mumbled out.

Bowing his head for a moment in shame.

Then he looked back at her, "I'm sorry...I never meant to hurt you."

Turning, she gazed back out at the horizon, "You know...I shouldn't even be angry with you." She whispered, rubbing her arms, "After all, you are a high ranking male wolf and you are 28yrs old. It's surprising that you haven't chosen a mate."

Mason stepped closer to his mate, standing behind her, within touching distance, "I promised myself that I would stop searching when I reached the age of 35."

"And did you?" She asked, "Did you search for her?"

"Every opportunity I could." He stated firmly and clearly.

"And what if the mate you have finally found, is not worthy of such love and devotion. What if she is a weakling, like that woman said." She asked, sadness in her voice.

Mason knew he had to tread lightly, if he said the wrong thing, he might never get the opportunity to breach the gap and mend their relationship, "In today's day and age, not everyone is a saint. I accepted the fact, that my mate might not even be pure, by the time I found her. No matter what the consequences, the past would remain just that, the past. But, I will make damn sure that she knows that I will be her last and she will be forever my love."

"And will you be patient enough to wait, until she is ready?" She asked, shivering at the memories, wondering if she will ever be able to let a man touch her like that ever again.

He stilled, narrowing his eyes, "You remembered something?" He asked, no longer caring, if she protested or not, he turned her around, holding her firmly in his embrace, looking down at her intently, searching and seeing the truth in her eyes.