02| Moving

"You never know how much you love someone until it's too late. When they're on the verge of leaving you don't know the right words to say except goodbye."-Jasmine

Hannah Jensen

Sensing the gentle caress of the sun rays on my skin, a whiny groan escaped me, evidently because my mother had once again pulled my curtains open at the slight invasion of dawn so this would happen, also because of the unbearable thudding in my head and I assumed it was from all the crying. I groaned and rolled over trying to go back to sleep but I failed miserably so I threw the duvet off of me and got up.

I heard a whimper on my way to the bathroom and froze, then I sighed at my silliness when I remembered Hailey stayed for the night. Trudging out of my room, I went to my mother's and raided medicine cabinet for ibuprofen. I then returned to mine and took a refreshing  shower.

When I trudged out of the bathroom, I was clad in an oversized baby blue sweater and ripped jeans. Noticing Hailey was awake with her back against the headboard, and her tired eyes fixated on the screen of her phone, I cleared my throat to gain her attention and her eyes quickly snapped up at me. I then received a warm smile after she placed her phone on the bed side table.

"Hey, you going to school?"

I averted my gaze to the ceiling dramatically, as if I was currently searching for the answer, but I already knew it, then, pouted at her in a childish way.

"Do I have to?"

She chuckled and shook her head, "I won't blame you if you choose not to, I understand. I don’t think I should either because I have a very strong urge to strangle what's his face when I see him." she uttered amusingly but you could tell she meant it.

I waved her off and whispered an 'okay' then we went downstairs for breakfast and I swallowed the lump in my throat at the mention of Jake.

I suddenly had the urge to cry once more.

***

Hailey left an hour or so ago for school after plenty of pursuing from me but not before she demanded I call her if anything goes wrong, which I doubt I will but to make her leave my house before she changed her mind five minutes later, I reassured her with a smile and promised I will.

For today, I decided to accompany my father, Jonathan Jensen to work. He's the coach of one of the best basketball teams in England, London Panthers. When I told him I wanted to come with he was more than happy to agree. I was surprised he didn't ask about school but I am more than glad he didn't.

The last thing I wanted was for him to despise someone he treated as his own. My father always persuaded me to join one of the female teams under my age but I always declined.

Basketball's my passion, I won't say that I don't love playing it because I honestly do, but I don't want to be doing that for the rest of my life. So you could say it was a good stress reliever for me and it's nothing more than just a hobby, I would have played in the schools female team but there isn't any.

Since I had arrived I sat in the same seat on the bench next to my father's belongings and studied the players play solemnly as they trained. My father suddenly plodded towards the court with an unreadable expression which masked his entire face.