Mate

The walk was an awkwardly silent on with her trailing behind him like a lost puppy as she stared in amazement of the castle and he simply walked through it as if almost bored him. The only sounds were her breathing and her footsteps as he almost seemed to not making any noise with his feet. He had obviously been trained to not make footsteps seeing as how he meticulously placed his foot down every single time with intention. Her dad had taught her the basics but she figured he had years of practice. Which begged the question, how many years?

"How old are you?" Ximena accidentally blurted out. It seemed almost offensive the way she blatantly asked him.

"I was turned before 1300 BC." Caius said looking back and smiling at her reaction.

"Oh, so your old old. The fuck." Ximena said still trying to wrap her mind around everything going on. She couldn't help but think everything was a dream. It all seemed unreal. It was so out of this world, she was a normal girl before she stepped foot into this castle. And now she was the "mate" of a vampire king.

"This is my study, office if you will." Caius said leading me into a fairly large room, bigger than her dad's office by far. It had an entire wall covered in books being held by bookshelves and what she imagined as journals to the right wall from the entrance. A desk was facing away from the bookshelf so the back of the spinning chair faced away from it as well. The mahogany desk had all the modern technology available. A brand new laptop neatly placed with papers around it in stacks and a desktop Apple computer as well. Two cushioned chairs were on the other side of the desk, which he motioned for them to sit on. "I imagine you are still confused about many things. It's a lot to take in."

"That's an understatement" Ximena said taking a seat in one of the chairs as he pulled it out for her and readjusted the other one and sat down. They were seated so closely their knees almost touched.

"Would you like to ask questions and I answer them, or should I just speak about the basics?" Caius asked not necessarily knowing how to explain this whole supernatural world to her.

"You tell me." Ximena said sitting comfortably and looked at him attentively. Caius was a confident man, always had been. But when he saw her staring at him with those eyes, those magnificent caramel eyes, he became weak. The though of not being enough for her, for her to leave him, was terrifying.

"Very well. Vampires as you know live off on blood, human blood. Our eyes turn red but there a few like the Cullens,"he said with a slight sneer in his words, "who drink animal blood. Their eyes turn gold color. Some vampires have gifts. Such as Aro, who can see all your thoughts you've ever had with the touch of your hand. Marcus can see bonds."

"Bonds?" Ximena asked.

"Bonds, the emotional ties people have between one another. Family bonds, mate bonds, coven bonds."Caius gave examples.

"Coven? As in groups of vampires?"

"Yes, I am one third of the leaders of the Volturi coven. The ruling coven, we create and impose our laws."

"What are your laws?"

"No human can know about out existence. No immortal children, children turned immortal because they can destroy entire towns due to their tantrums and uncontrollable blood thirst. And a few others."

"So Bella and I shouldn't know about the existence of vampires?" Ximena asked. What would the consequences be of their knowledge?

"Well, you can know due to our mate bond, but you must be turned." Caius said and then quickly explained when her heart rate picked up drastically. "Not now, the choice is your when you want to be turned. But you must be turned. We are not above the laws ourselves." Caius said before she began getting hysterical.