Boyfriend?

"Come on guys, they're really sweet. They would love you." Ximena said trying to yank Alec forward by his hand in the direction of her house. They were currently in the woods trying to convince the remaining guard that her parent hadn't met to come in and meet her family. They had already fallen in love with the other guard members and it had only been about two weeks.

Within those two weeks, now three since they returned from Volterra, she had kept in constant contact with Caius. They had daily Facetime calls, after the human assistant Gianna taught him how to work a smartphone and began getting used to the stylus she recommended. They texted constantly when he wasn't on trial. They had begun a painful long distance relationship. He had winced at her words when she described her symptoms a few hours after she made it back home. She began feeling this constant anxiety, like she was vulnerable and alone. She began getting depressed because of that loneliness and had even truly considered getting back on her happy pills. It was a struggle to adjust to the constant empty feeling that would only become bearable when she was talking to him. She never thought the mate bond would affect her this enormously, but it did.

And it wasn't any easier for him. He was used to being so composed and aloof around people. Now all he craved was to be on the next flight to Forks, Washington. It was an odd sight, seeing a serious man like Caius who could rip a person's head off for looking at him the wrong way, to looking like a love sick schoolgirl constantly checking his phone to see if Ximena had contacted him. He often spent his time in his quarters or study on constantly on his phone. It was up to the point where he was often falling behind in paperwork. But he made up for it by rushing through it the hours Ximena was asleep.

It had become the talk of the castle, how a simple human girl had changed Caius. Half the time he wore a smile on his face when he was on his phone and the other half he was persistently irritable because he was feeling the repercussion of the distance between the mates. He was often the one to execute vampires found guilty and Aro allowed him knowing fully well he had the ability to walk into the tower and see his mate whenever he wanted to.

Speaking of the tower, Caius' wife, or ex-wife as he had told her he wanted to end things between them because he had found his mate, refused to leave the castle. He couldn't find himself to simply kick her out when she was accustomed to living in a castle being pampered and taken care of all the time. And she had been his love for many years that it seemed unfair to simply leave her in the streets. And now the life outside the walls were different than when they were humans. Drastically, as he had begun to find out through Ximena. So now they were in an awkward state where Caius had to face his former wife, whom refused to admit they were now no longer together, every time they had to feed. It was an unpleasant every time to say the least.

Now back to the topic on hand, Alec was persistent that there was no way he was going to walk into a room full of humans and pretend he wasn't a sparkly killing being. "My queen, I beg you not to make me. I still firmly believe this is an awful idea." Alec begged as he wouldn't budge and was almost amused at how determined the queen was to drag him into the house but couldn't because it was like trying to yank a boulder.

"Ugh, stop being such a loser. Come one. Look I'll even call Caius. Watch." Ximena said pulling her phone and and then felt a gust of wind and her phone was suddenly not in her hand. "Hey!" She said surprised to find her phone in the hands of Alec.

"I cannot have you call Master Caius and have him come over here to kill us." Alec pleaded.

"He's not going to kill you. Now give it back."

"But-"

"Now, that's an order Alexander." Ximena said forcefully as she used his full name and grinned victoriously when he hesitantly handed it over. She hit the Facetime button next to Caius' name and waited as it rung. It was 5 in the afternoon in Forks which meant it was 2 am in Italy. It was the time he was often in his study working on paperwork or other important matters. But he urged her to not hesitate to call because she was far more important than any stupid piece of paper. The phone rang once and it immediately made the little noise that made her heart skip a beat that meant he answered. "Hey Caius." She greeted and smiled at his face.