Chapter 19

A fine girl in Abaya hello girl what is your name?
She tells me she's Fareedah,Fareedah I like your name.
I like the way you walk oh!
I like the way you scent oh!
                                       Abaya by Bvlvmi
---------------------------------------------------------
Zahrah's P.O.V
It's been a month since I broke up with Hameed. I'm not sure if it was the right choice but I think it is. For now, I hope it is. Baba is gone but something we never expected happened. A European firm claimed that they helped Baba with a loan of $10 million to run for the gubernatorial elections in 2023. Well,even mum doesn't seem to know anything about it. Baba's lawyer also claimed he had no idea about this development. But the firm came with their evidences. Deep down,I knew he could do that. He once told me we'll soon be relocating to a government house,what could he have meant by that? Mum and everyone else was devastated. We begged for time to sort things out from the European firm. We had to find out where the money went to? Which of his accounts? Through what means? Basically, we've spent the past month trying to trace every single foreign transaction to Baba's account.

Monday morning:
"Zahrah! Wake up and get ready,it's Monday" Mama's voice woke me up.

"It's Monday" meant that today's our appointment with the United states consulate in Abuja. We had to verify the legality of the firm cos it was evident that no such transaction ever took place. But we had to be smart or we'll get outsmarted.

I dressed in a white T-shirt with a baggy trouser and a big hat. Of course I wouldn't forget to wear my big Dior glass I ordered from their official site. I always had a feeling buying from the manufacturer means originality guaranteed.

After a couple of minutes drive,we navigated our way ahead of Rudolf street,where the embassy stood tall,staring at our moving car. In our company were two DCPs from the police force headquarters and daughter of one of the greatest Senior advocate of Nigeria, Barr. Akintola Adeyemi. The GMC jeep given to us by Alh.Dikko Abubakar came along with all these personalities. It was aimed at sending a message to the embassy that "the truth" is needed as we are connected to the government. Let's see how it works out.

We all waited in the car while the two DCPs went inside to talk with the Secretary to the Ambassador. After a few minutes, they came back and told us the ambassador was ready. One of the DCPs stayed behind while all of us went in.

After a brief introduction,we got started.

"Laides and gentlemen I have read your memo and have digested it. The truth of the matter is that the company name 'Helix & brothers' actually exists. But when I contacted Mr.Helix he said he is not aware of this transaction" the Ambassador voiced

"This is a great news I guess,but tell us categorically what your statement implies Mr.Ambassador, just to set the record right" Barr.Adeyemi jnr added.

"Err,barrister what my statement implies is that we're not aware of those who approached you with these claims. It is now up to you,your client and your government to figure it out and hand them to the appropriate authority" the Ambassador replied our Barrister.

"Thank you very much for the efforts you have made,we're very grateful and will keep in touch when necessary" my mum added

What a sigh of relief! It was as though the world was on top of my shoulders and it was just taken off.

Coming out of the consulate, my mum suggested we have our lunch at the "Barcelona hotel" to which everyone agreed.

"We are working as a team,and we have to talk more and meet more" Mama added.

We all ate to our satisfaction. The fried rice I ordered with a touch of KFC well balanced on top of the plate was delectable. I think I enjoyed my meal more than anyone present there.