Chapter 27

Don't know if it's the drink I poured
But I swear I've never loved you more
When you right here, I come alive
One more hit and we can fly
This shit feel like (paradise)
                                      Paradise-Bazzi
---------------------------------------------------------
Hameed's P.O.V

A new day

A test day

A bad day

I just hopped into my jean and T-shirt. My own body is already heavy for me to carry let alone wear a suit or a caftan. Besides,it's Sunday.

Dr.Saleh comes to pick me up in his Toyota Camry 2010. He's such a simple man,a realist and principled being. His daughter studying medicine in London would call me and tell me to convince him send her more money.

"Studying abroad is not as easy as he thinks it is" she once complained.

"Don't worry, I'll talk to him" I will console her.

I hopped in and we headed to Haneefah's crib. She was already waiting at the gate as I told her my family Doctor was going to handle our movement.

"Good day Sir" she greeted him

"Good day young Lady" he replied in his English accent. He too studied medicine in Stanford University, one of the most expensive in the US. He practiced medicine for 20 years before returning back to Nigeria to finally settle. His parents wouldn't allow him marry his American girlfriend as at then. He named his youngest daughter after her, Tracy, she is 10 years and also hopes to study medicine when she grows up. I one asked him why he wanted all his children to study medicine. "That's their choice" he always said.

"Young Lady,Hameed has told me everything, we hope the test favours you both okay?" Dr.Saleh said looking at Haneefah through the mirror.

"Thank you Sir" she said

"I am taking you to a private laboratory, I have spoken with the scientist he'll be opening just for us" Dr.Saleh said

After a long drive we arrived at a building that itself looked like a small clinic.

We all alighted and went inside. It was just the scientist and two other subordinates.

"This is the gentleman I was talking to you about" Dr. Saleh said pointing at me after they shook hands with the scientist.

"OK,great, nice to meet you" the scientist said throwing me a handshake I received sluggishly. My mind was only on Haneefah.

I muffled some prayers as the scientist wore me a tourniquet around my arm. Not because I was scared. No! I was praying for a miracle. They say everything's possible from God's eyes. Ya Allah! Help my soul. Ya Allah change my genotype I prayed loudly in my mind.

We waited for hours. We talked about the most random of topics. From music to sports and politics.

"The result is ready" the scientist came to the reception.

I and Haneefah walked to his office were we sat.

Prayer not answered!

That was the first thought that came to my mind when he said "Mr.Abdulhameed,you possess genotype AS"

I turned to Haneefah and said "I'm sorry"

She wasn't as shocked as I thought she would be. It gave me a bit of relief.

"You don't have to say that, it's fine,I always told myself you're AS until proven otherwise. Cos I couldn't risk another sudden heartbreak and I turned out right" she said.

"I'll miss you" I said as tears filled my eyes.

"Me too" she said as she stood and brought out her phone.

"I want to ask you for a favour"

"I know what you're scared of Hameed" she said

I used my handkerchief to soak away my tears before they roll down my cheeks.

Men are not supposed to cry the say,but God created them with a tear gland too. So, men too must cry.

Strength is not in refusing to cry,strength is in crying and not refusing to break.

Our love had just died without notice. We didn't even have a chance to feel it subside slowly. It was supposed to have a half-life I thought.

Dr.Saleh drove us back home. First,Haneefah was dropped,then me.

"How did the test go?" Mama asked

"My prayer wasn't answered" I replied

"It's fine, you'll find someone better, things happen for a reason. Khair InshaAllah" Mama said and walked out of the room

Over the years I have started to think things don't happen for a reason, reasons make things happen.

It was a reason that made me first meet Haneefah, to help, and then it turned to love. And today,our genotype became a reason for us to part ways.

Well, whether things happen for a reason or vice versa,things happen and we can't change that.

"Can you drive me somewhere?" Mama asked

"Yes,do I have to change?" I asked

"Who would want to visit his future in-law in a T-shirt and a jean" she answered my question with a question,something that is normal in Nigeria. That's not the problem,she mentioned my 'future in-laws',who could they be? I am not ready for drama. Those things happening in Nollywood and Kannywood should remain with them. I didn't say anything though, I just picked the car key and waiter outside.

"Why haven't you changed?" Mama asked

"Nothing" I replied

"Allah ya shirya(may God deliver)" she said and entered the car.

I asked for directions once we were out of the gate.

"Take me to Hajiya Rabi's house" she replied

"That's Zeenah's home" I asked as I pressed my leg on the brake pad

"Mr.Man Is there anything wrong with that?" She asked

"No, nothing" I replied

Mama couldn't even wait for me to easily let go off Haneefah. I wasn't over her yet and she's bringing Zeenah into the whole already confused world of mine. I hope the car stops halfway to Zeenah's home.

Well,with my car already at Hajiya Rabi's gate,I don't need to be told that my prayers are not for answering today.