1| Expectations

Chapter 1: Expectations (Bella's POV)

I sat there, squinting under the sun while our valedictorian said their speech. 

"How long is this gonna go on?" Ava asked. 

"It's our graduation, Ava, come on," Charlotte clicked her tongue. 

"I don't want to graduate under the scorching sun and be sweating when I go up there, Charlotte," Ava sassed. 

"Can both of you please shut up? Like seriously, please?" I said, looking between the two of them. 

"She started it," Ava pouted. 

"I did not!" 

"I just asked how long this is gonna go on for and you-" 

"Shut up. If you're feeling hot just- I don't know, shove ice down your dress," I rolled my eyes. 

"Get me some ice then," Ava mumbled. 

"Okay seriously, as hot as it is, Charlotte's right. It's our graduation, we're never coming back here again," I sighed. 

"Good. This place can go to shit," Ava said, folding her arms across her chest. 

"Say bye to Mr. Hollis, Ava," Charlotte teased. Mr. Hollis is our youngest, hottest, most beautiful teacher. Ava had a huge crush on him in junior year and Charlotte still holds it over her. 

"Have both of you booked your tickets?" Ava asked. 

"Yeah," we replied in sync. 

"Ladies, shh!" We all looked up at Mrs. Hawkins who walked up and down the aisle. 

"We're leaving, Mrs. Hawkins, you're not our teacher anymore so with all due respect, move along," Ava sang. Mrs. Hawkings rolled her eyes and kept walking. "And you all booked your rooms?" 

"Yes, Ava," we said again. 

"Great, then let's get over this graduation and get the fuck out of here at midnight," Ava sighed. 

No, we're not running away together, it's our post-graduation trip that we planned. Even though we're all coming back here for college. Back here in San Diego. 

I stood there, sipping my lemonade, yes our school served us lemonade. "Bella, get over here!" my mom ushered. I rolled my eyes and downed the lemonade before tossing the plastic cup. My mom pushed me in between her and my dad, handing her phone to Charlotte. 

"Say cheese," she laughed. 

"For God's sake," I mumbled but smiled nonetheless. 

"You're growing up and leaving, okay? Just shut up," my dad said through his smile. 

"I'm leaving for two weeks on a holiday, dad. Not leaving the country but I love you too," I grinned, turning to him. They took another picture after that, both of them kissing my cheeks at the same time. 

This is the most cliche graduation ever yet it has no glamour like the movies which raise our expectations too high. No tossing caps in the air because it will likely hit someone else in the face, no cheers and applause, everyone is just eager to get out of here. 

My god, it's hot. 

After all the pictures, we all got into our cars and left to pack, get ready, deciding to meet at the airport. We drove past the school right opposite to ours. Our rivals, if you will. I don't get it, but if you ask the soccer or football team, they'll tell you. 

"Oh, look at that. They all just had their graduation ceremony too," my mom laughed. 

My dad pulled over and rolled down his window. "Hey boys," he nodded. He used to be a coach for their soccer team up until last year.