13| Fool

Chapter 13: Fool (Bella's POV)

I knew he was staring at me, likely to be taking me in, but I just made myself think of it as a staring contest because I didn't want to be the first to look away, blink, or make him snap out of it. I liked the way he looked at me. I liked him.

Am I a fool for thinking that? For liking him so soon? I've known him for four days. Four fucking days. I know more about him than I have about anyone else in four days and he's great company, I genuinely love hanging out with him.

When his eyes clicked with mine, I felt the blush beginning to creep up my face. Oh, my god. I am a fucking fool. I could see the smile tugging at his lips. I bit down on my bottom lip to keep my smile hidden while looking away. I lifted my hands off the table that I was leaning on and sat up straight, pulling my hands into my lap.

"You have a beauty mark right there," he pointed at my upper lip, "I didn't know that," he chuckled.

"Nobody really knows that," I laughed, "It's really light, you can't see it," I shrugged.

"I see it," he replied.

"You're standing real close," I said, glancing at the space between us.

"Is that okay?" he asked.

"You know you're a lot sweeter than everyone says," I giggled.

"Really? I might have to change that," he smirked.

"Why?" I frowned.

"Because I was the guy who was an asshole for no reason," he chuckled.

"There had to have been a reason," I said, pulling my legs up, crossing them.

He took that as an opportunity to shift closer to me and took a step closer to do so. "I suppose there was, nobody ever figured it out," he replied.

"How come?" I questioned.

"It was a secret," he answered with a small shrug.

"Hmm, an enemy?" He shook his head. "Betrayal?" He shrugged. "Heartbreak?" He didn't respond. It was about heartbreak. "Someone broke your heart?" I whispered.

"That's a little dramatic," he chuckled, "Broke my heart? I don't know if I loved her, but broke my trust? Yeah, she did."

"What did she do?" I asked hesitantly, "Answering that is optional."

He smiled, "She cheated," he shrugged.

"Stupid bitch," I said, waving my hand dismissively.

He laughed, throwing his head back lightly. "Why? She didn't feel for me anymore. Why shouldn't she have gone with someone else?" he asked.

"She could have gone with someone else, she just shouldn't have done it behind you back. Trust is a thing, communication is a thing, so is loyalty. That's all there before a relationship forms, isn't it?" I asked rhetorically. He nodded in response. "She could have told you, she should have told you, but she didn't. That makes her a fool," I scoffed.

"Would you never do that to someone?"

"Never," I shook my head, "Especially to you. I imagine you treated her right," I answered.

"I thought I did, I guess not."

"Well, the past is in the past, what now?" I asked.

"What now?" He arched an eyebrow at me.

"Aren't you seeing someone? Or talking to someone?"

"Well, I'm talking to you," he smirked.

I rolled my eyes, smiling. "I'm being serious," I laughed.