21| Death

Chapter 21: Death (Bella's POV)

I stepped out of the shower in my towel and headed over to the bed to grab my dress. It was clearly, now the next day, actually the next night, and we were heading over to Wanderlust. Obviously, after the Grand Canyon, we were all very exhausted and couldn't even move our legs. I'm still struggling a bit but we're hanging in there. 

I was going to grab my dress when there was a knock on the door. I turned around and walked over to the door. "Who is it?" I asked before opening the door. 

"The devil," Noah answered. 

I chuckled before pulling the door open and stepping aside to let him in. "Hey," I sang, letting my eyes scan him head to toe. He looks good in everything, there's nothing the man can't wear. 

"Like what you see?" he smirked. 

"Always," I sighed dreamily. 

"Oh, I see," he chuckled. 

I pushed myself off the door that I was leaning on and headed for the dress. I scanned it up and down before pulling out the heels and putting them on the floor. "Right. I'm going to put on makeup and do something with my hair. Enjoy," I shrugged before going into the bathroom. I shut the door and dropped the towel before pulling on the hotel bathrobe. 

I opened the door and started doing my makeup. I looked up in the mirror and saw him standing in the doorway, staring at me. I cleared my throat, "Creep," I coughed. He smiled before walking in and standing behind me. 

"Your creep," he sighed, wrapping his arms around my waist and resting his chin on my shoulder. I smiled and continued doing my makeup, trying not to get too distracted by the kisses on my shoulder where the robe had oh-so conveniently slipped off. "Bella," he mumbled. 

"Noah," I whispered mockingly. 

His eyes met mine in the mirror and his expression changed. It was serious. The mischief and the flirt gone. I raised my eyebrows, not wanting to pressure him into telling me anything. "I got a letter from Berkley," he said. 

My heart was pounding against my ribcage in a way it shouldn't be. We have four days left here in Vegas. Four days. If he gets in, that could change everything. We could actually be together. Not just for the summer. 

"And?" I asked hesitantly, "Did your parents open it?" 

He nodded. I turned around to face him, waiting to see if he would tell me. "I got in," he whispered. 

My lips broke out into a grin, the kind that's rare. I put my arms around him and pulled him into a hug which he reciprocated and gripped my waist tightly. "Oh, my god, I'm so happy for you," I squealed. I pulled back to look at his face but there was no smile there, not even a fake one. "What's wrong?" I asked, caressing his cheek. 

"Bella, I actually really like you. I have genuine feelings for you. And I don't want this to turn into a sad old summer love. I genuinely want to be with you. Not just for a summer." 

My mouth formed a small 'O' as I processed what he said. Maybe I should tell him that I got in too. But then how do I tell him I don't even want to go? Our situations are similar but different. His parents may not be as understanding as mine, or my parents may not agree with me, I might not be able to convince them. I don't want to tell him that when it's so uncertain. 

"Noah?" I cleared my throat. He looked up at me, his eyes locking in place with mine. "I got in too," I whispered. 

His eyes lit up. "What?" he asked in disbelief. 

"Yeah, um my parents opened the letter. I got in." He started grinning like the whole world was done right and his life became a fairytale with a happy ending and knowing that I could possibly shatter that, broke my heart. "I just didn't tell you. I wanted to know if you got in first," I shrugged, lying to him.