Chapter 34: Iris

Somehow I had made it through one week of school. Me and Jake had become best friends and went everywhere together. Tilly's class was definitely my favourite. I finished my robot in a week, even though we had been given two to finish it. I brought it in the next week, I had taken it home to work on it.
"Hey."
"How you doin?"
"Meh. Clint dumped water in me this morning."
"So that's why your hair is wet." He laughed.
"Yeah. And it was cold. Like really cold." I made it through all my other classes and then I practically ran to the R&E room. Everyone trickled in and we immediately started working. Tilly said that we would waste time if she gave us a lecture. I came up to her work desk and set down my robot. Her gray eyes fixed on me.
"What do you need Abby?"
"I just wanted to give you my robot."
"I thought you had one more week." She turned my little robot in her hands. It was about the size of both her hands.
"Yeah but I finished quick. No offence but it wasn't really hard." She looked surprised. "You wanna see what it does?" I was practically bouncing with excitement. She grinned.
"Of course."
"Good afternoon Nitro."
"Good afternoon. What can I assist you with?" Said a mechanical voice.
"Can you show us what you can do?"
"Sure Ms. Allen. Just give me the command."
"Ok Nitro. I need a screwdriver. Can you find me one please?"
"Of course." He sped over to the corner of the desk, picked up a screwdriver with his claw, and brought it to me.
"Now can you please play Dad's favourite song." Back in Black by AC/DC started to play. "Thanks Nitro that's all." The little robot drove to the corner of the desk and powered off.
"That was very impressive. How did you do that in a week?" Tilly asked.
"It wasn't that hard. I had a little trouble with the robotics at first, but the coding was really easy."
"Well thanks Abby. Do you mind if I keep him for a little bit?"
"You can take him." She tried to protest. "No seriously, I can always make another one." Let's just say I was now Tilly's favourite student. I went back to my workspace and was fiddling around with some scraps when I heard a voice say,
"That was pretty impressive." I accidentally shocked myself.
"Shoot!" I yelped shaking my hand.
"Oh sorry I didn't mean to scare you."
"No it's fine. I'm used to it." I looked up and saw the most beautiful girl I had ever seen in my 14 years in this planet. She had her shoulder length ginger hair tied back and the most brilliant green eyes. My breath caught.
"I'm sorry what did you say?"
"Oh sorry," she said, "I was just commenting on that robot. It's really good."
"Oh thanks. Wasn't much really." I felt a blush rising in my cheeks.
"And um, I was wondering if you could maybe help with mine. I'm stuck."
"Oh yeah sure." I walked over to her space. There was a tall metal frame with a claw attached at the end. I immediately saw the problem. I told her and she fixed it right away.
"Cool thanks."
"No problem." I smiled at her. I went back to my station and got lost in thought. I was I feel that I didn't even notice the bell rang. Tilly came over and shook me out.
"Hey Abby, schools over."
"What? Oh yeah thanks." She smiled.
"You thinking about Iris?"
"Who?"
"Oh she didn't tell you her name. That girl you were helping, her name is Iris."
"Oh."
"So, does this deep in thought look have to do with work, or something else?" Her gray eyes sparkled.
"I have no idea what you're talking about teach."
"Oh but I think you do." I snorted.
"Me having a crush? No way. And a girl? Why would you think that?"
"There's no shame in it. I'm gay too you know. I have a wife."
"That's cool. What does this have to do with me?"
"Come on. I saw you blushing."
"Fine. I may like her. But I'm sure she would love the adoptive child who has a traumatic past."
"You don't have to be judged by your past. That's why it's the past, it's behind you."
"But-"
"Nope I don't want to hear it. Just be friends first."
"That didn't work so well for me last time." Her mouth shaped into and o.
"Alright. It's your decision. But please just think about it."
"Fine." She smiled.
"Good. Now have a good afternoon Abby."
"You too Tilly." This was not good.