Chapter 43: Training

I woke up nice and early, one of the perks of going to bed early. I got dressed, and wandered into the kitchen, surprised to see Steve.
"Morning." I said.
"Oh good morning Abby. How did you sleep?"
"Pretty good actually."
"Well that's good. After school today, why don't we train your powers?"
"Yeah sure, I'd like that." He nodded and I walked off, waiting for Peter. Eventually everyone was up and we were leaving for school. Of course I had math first, which I would've died in, if not for Iris and Jake. Chemistry was ok, even if I was banned from experiments for life. We had an actual assignment for CS (computer science) today so I'd don't get to hack again, but it was ok I guess. Then we get to R&E. I was just tinkering around with some parts, Tilly had run out of assignments for me to do. Then it struck me. I needed a super suit. No I was not a superhero yet, and I don't think I would ever, but just for fun. I grabbed a sheet of paper, and began sketching. I was so engrossed that I didn't see Jake peek over my shoulder.
"What're you working on?" I jumped.
"Geez don't scare me like that."
"You didn't answer my question." He raised an eyebrow at me.
"Nothing." I said.
"Didn't seem like nothing to me." Jake still didn't know about my powers and I didn't want him to. It would get him in too much trouble. Don't even get me started on Iris. I sighed.
"Fine." I showed him the paper. "Just a little sketch I put together."
"What is it?" Jake asked.
"Well, if I was a superhero, that would be my suit."
"A superhero?"
"Yeah." He looked at me quizzically.
"Abby is there something you're not telling me?"
"What why?" He just stared at me for a minute. "Nevermind." Then he walked away. That was close. Too close. Finally Tilly dismissed us and I hurried home, remembering that Steve was going to help me train today. I arrived at the tower and pulled an apple out of the fridge. I felt someone creep up behind me. I stuck the apple in my mouth, grabbed the outstretched arm, and twisted.
"Ah!" I turned to see Ant- Man. He struggled to get out of my grip. "Let me go!" He yelled. Steve then rushed into the room.
"Abby, Abby it's fine. Let him go." I slowly let go of his arm, taking a bite of my apple.
"Steve, who is she?" I sighed, and between me and Steve, we told the story. He rubbed his arm.
"Oh well sorry about that."
"Yeah it's fine. Steve are we going to train now?"
"Yeah let's go." We went down to the training room. "So remind me what your powers are again."
"Wings, super strength, sixth sense and hypnotism." He nodded.
"Alright, we know you're good at fighting already, so I want you to use your powers, specifically your hypnotism."
"What?"
"Use it on me. Come on." I looked up at him, memories flashing in my mind. Hypnotizing strangers, making them do horrible things, my parents using me, and then me hypnotizing them to forget me. I didn't notice Steve's hand on my shoulder.
"Hey. You ok?"
"Yeah I'm-"
"No you're not. Tell me the truth." I looked up at him. He seemed genuinely worried.
"Um, when I was with my parents, they made me hypnotize people to do horrible things. They made them into robots, and I was the leader. Finally after 2 years I had had enough. So i-I hypnotized them. Told them to forget me and never hurt anyone again. I use it sometimes, but just for little things, like pranks. It just brings back bad memories." I was crying. Steve held me in his arms.
"You did the right thing. And you made the world a better place because of that." I sniffles, trying to stop the tears.
"You think?"
"I know. Now if you want to try, just get me to walk over, and lift up that weight." I took a deep breath. Alright, I can do this. I looked Steve in the eyes and said,
"Go over and lift that weight, then come back and then snap out of it." He snapped up to attention, his eyes flashing gold and glazing over. He lifted the weight above his head, then put it down, jogging back to me, and snapping out of it.
"See nothing bad happened." He smiled at me.
"Thanks Steve."
"Now let's try it again, this time you think of something."