~71~

Numb to reality, Brighid stood next to Lucas and Nathan watching Keith be lowered into the ground. Each one of them sprinkling the dirt that would cover his casket.

After the burial they all headed to Karen's for food and cheering up. Although Brighid wasn't expecting anyone to be cheerful.

"How's the foot?" Skills asked as Jake and Brighid walked in. His arm snaked around her waist.

"Feels fine. One more week and I can go back to basketball" Brighid sighed in the kitchen. Whitey stood by the sink.

"So many people showed up" Bevin commented.

"He was so loved in this town" Whitey explained.

"Not by all" Brighid muttered. She sighed still carrying around bitterness for him. After all he had drove while drunk with her in the car. He slept with her mother causing her father to have a heart attack. Not to mention he skipped town leaving everyone worried about him.

"Don't become like you father Danny" whitey warned pointing a finger at her. Brighid sighed knowing he was partially right.

"I wonder how scared Jimmy was?" Bevin asked.

"DONT SAY HIS NAME. NOT IN MY MOTHER'S HOUSE!" Lucas shouted causing silence to fill the air. Brighid looked at Jake worried about Lucas and how he was handling this. She assumed it was harder for him than anyone knew, especially since Keith was going to adopt him and they were finally going to be the family they had always dreamed of.

"I think we should be going" Brighid whispered to Jake. He shook his and the two said their goodbyes as they made their way out.

Brighid sat in the passenger seat silent.

"You okay?" Jake asked as he started up his trunk.
———
A few days later Brighid was inside the empty house with Jenny. Jake was busy with work and practice and Brighid had nothing better to do.

Nathan had moved out, living with Haley in the apartment again and with her mother gone she had the whole place to herself. Or at least she thought.

Brighid was upstairs changing Jenny's diaper when the sound of the front door opened.

"Nate?" Brighid called out not expecting him to stop by. There was no answer.

"Dad?" Brighid called out again as she grabbed Jenny off the changing table and walked down the stairs with her.

"Hello?"

"Brighid?" A voice responded. She turned off the steps and into the kitchen to find her mom and uncle Cooper standing in the kitchen.

"Mom" Brighid exclaimed grabbing her in a hug, Jenny still on Brighid's hip. "Uncle Coop" she exclaimed after giving him a hug.

"Are you back?" Brighid asked.

"I am. Coop is staying with us for a while. I just need a support system with Dan" Deb explained.

"Thought I heard my name" Dan said as he walked in.

"What are you doing here?" Deb asked all mad. Brighid stepped to the side.

"Heard you were back. Came to see you" Dan explained. "You look good"

"You look terrible" Deb commented back.

"Truth is I haven't been sleeping well. I've been struggling ever since Keith um...."

Everyone was still at the sound of Keith's death. Brighid since the funeral had a slight change of heart, feeling remorseful for even thinking bad of him.

"I'm trying here Deb. I figured since you're back, Nathan moved out and Brighid is living elsewhere half the time you'd be lonely" Dan said. Cooper who had been in the shadows stepped out.

"She's not" Cooper said walking up to Dan.

"Well, well. It's the race car crashing brother. Are you staying at my house now, Cooper?" Dan asked instantly changing his tone of voice. Brighid knew it was going to get violent.

"Actually I'm staying at my sister's house. Since it's my sister's house I don't think we'll be seeing much of you around here. Unless you're invited" Cooper responded.

"You have a problem with me kid?" Dan asked getting up in Cooper's face.

"Dad, I think you should leave" Brighid muttered.

"Taking your mother's side again, Brighid?" Dan asked all mad.

"What the hell is this?" Nathan asked all loud. Brighid sighed a breath of relief knowing Nathan showed up. "Dad, just go home"

"I could say the same thing Nathan" Dan muttered. He kissed Deb on the head before walking out. Everyone was on edge.

"You need to change the locks again" Brighid muttered to Nathan.

"Again?" Deb asked.

"Third times a charm" Brighid said annoyed.