Chapter Twelve

"Durin was the dragon whom Barbatos and Dvalin defeated with their combined prowess", Cascade knelt down on the ground, scooping out an amount of snow to roll it around her palms, before taking small a bite on the snowball. "Xiao once said that snow is tasty. After hearing that from him I got curious and tried to eat some, but he stopped me",

"Surprisingly it does taste good", she added, even offering some to the seelie who keeps on circling her petite form, before rolling on the white coated ground, as if playing with the fluffy snow. "Go on my sweet floating friend, play all you like. We shall set on a journey to the very summit tomorrow",

Both her and her companion settled themselves underneath a dead tree, that remained lifeless even with Cascade's connection with nature. The mountain was indeed filled with toxicity from the remains of that vicious dragon.

It was a very chilly night indeed, as she watched the stars twinkle from above. Everything that surrounded her was nothing but darkness, except for the little glowing light that came from her seelie friend. A glowing cecilia won't help as of now, concerning the condition of the weather and the mountain. It was a bummer, really, but she couldn't bring herself to complain.

Her stomach growled, and that's when she had just remembered that she hadn't eaten a thing eversince she woke up. Fortunately, the her captors were kind enough to bring her some good quality food. It wasn't exactly the best, but at least it was edible enough, except for that weird looking soup that was once served for her.

As if on cue, someone came to drape her shoulders with a thick blanket, and she could only snuggle back on the warm fabric that covered her whole, even her seelie friend found solace under the covers. Cascade sighed, snuggling her head more before peeking beside her, where a lad sat obviously irritated at her.

"You always come to aid me, Xiao. Don't you get tired?", she asked, heaving for the remainder of the time. "I'm annoying ain't I?", She giggled, as she let the adeptus scoot closer for more heat.

"I'm glad that you know that. Archons forbid you're so annoying and irresponsible", the adeptus grumbled indicating how much irritated he was as of the moment, but there is a certain softness laced within his tone and it made Cascade smile, knowing fully well that this yaksha beside her was just really concerned of her well-being.

"Am I? I'm sorry Xiao. I never really wanted to", this time she whispered, and it was so faint that the Conqueror of Demons didn't hear it, almost. "You know? I tried eating some snow, and it was tasty",

"Dumbass", Xiao scoffed, shaking his head at the foolishness of his current companion. Humans are really dumb, and Cascade was no exception. He had already told her many times before, that fragile beings like her shouldn't really try and mimick the gestures of those immortal and powerful beings, just like him. "I've told you already. So many times, yet you won't li-",

"Do you have anything edible with you, Xiao?", She interrupted, glancing at the adeptus who had now turned red- not because of the cold- but because of her obvious pestering. He should've foreseen it, the moment he decided to help her. It happens all the time. In fact, Cascade may even be of par with that overseer from the funeral parlor. But of course, Hu Tao is still the worst amongst all.

"Let me finish my statement before speaking", he sighed, ruffling his hair before shoving a container that was wrapped in cloth in front of her face, to which she leaned back on for a bit, but accepted it afterwards. "I hope that Jade Parcels will suffice. Don't worry, I asked someone to place some kind of spell for it to stay heated",

"Thank you", Cascade chirped, before nudging the sleeping curcuma, who bedrugingly floated in front of her. She then fed it with cabbages, unwrapping the parcels just to give the small fellow some food to eat. Xiao stared at her with a flabbergasted expression, wishing the archons to give the girl some sense.