Final Chapter

SCORCHING HEAT from the sun had welcomed him as he groggily woke up from slumber. Lethargic and fatigued by the latest experiment he had drowned himself into.

It was in the midst of afternoon, and the fact that he's currently situated within the desserts of Sumeru doesn't help one bit.

It was hot.

Really hot.

Tears of crystalline sweat dribbled from his forehead down. The somewhat icky liquid staining the collar and neckline of his attire.

If he knew better. Then he'd rather stay in Dragonspine.

Basking within the unending storm of winter, not as intense as Snezhnaya, but quite close. Yet nonetheless, he found himself wanting the weather there, than it was in the dessert land.

Although, he had no choice.

In fact, he was the one who chose to be in Sumeru.

To conduct a research pertaining. . .her.

How long had it been exactly?

A year? Two? Three? He couldn't comprehend time like he used to, as he had been downing himself with work.

After everything that happened. Albedo likely felt like murdering himself at the aftermath of the occurence.

The moment every single battle against the fatui and her controlled self— all their efforts had gone wasted. It went downhill from their expectations.

He thought he could retrieve her. Thought that he could save her. Thought that he could be with her.

Wrong.

As they were battling with the wretched fatui. He had failed to grasp the idea that at the same time, they were asking for war with the gods.

That's the messed up part.

They made it clear that Cascade was no longer allowed to be treading the soils of Teyvat. Obviously telling them that she was no longer a property to enjoy life.

Bullshit! She ain't no property.

She's her own true self.

She's Cascade Ragvindr. Daughter of Crepus Ragnvindr; little sister of Diluc Ragnvindr and Kaeya Alberich; scholar of Sumeru; saviour of Mondstadt; former dendro archon; a friend to everyone; his companion. . .

His. . .lover.

Curse Celestia and their disgusting ways.

The gods took her from him, completely. No longer retrievable.

He could recall it vividly. The last momentum he had of her, and it wasn't even a romantic one.

It was filled with dread, anger, and sadness.

They were rejoicing when the fatui withdrawn from battle. Happy that they were able to attain their want of saving her.

They thought that it was the end.

It was.

It really was.

The moment she regained composure of her own body, lightning suddenly struck from the, what seems like; unrealistic heavens.

It was so fast none of them could move, stuck in surprise. And they were able to witness, as that beam of light, struck her down.

Blood.

Screams.

Laboured breathing.

"Death sure loves me, no? . ."

And with that she died for the third time.

Third and last.

She won't be coming back any sooner. The gods made it understandable enough.

It was sin to mankind to have someone dead be given life. It was unforgivable and unlawful.

Hence the idea of alchemy wasn't likely astounding to them than it was to ordinary folk. No matter, he'll completely upturn anything, be it defying laws of nature.

Anything for her.

Ah. He had made that promise long ago. Quite foolish of him to think that he'd be able to keep true to his words.

Too much for loving someone.

And he must admit.

He'd been quite a dickhead to her.

He was aware of how he treated her, and he's internally regretting it. Those days could've been spent with love and care in the air, but no.

It happened.

It had passed.

It was all in history, written in a mental manuscript that'd haunt him for as long as he lived.

Well, then that'd be an eternity long then.

He failed with a simple task of uncovering things. Of sorting which was which. And when he did, it was then covered with a new layer of unending mystery.

It became a cycle. Yet it came to an end.

Now that he had no one to discover.

No one to uncover.

He sighed, nibbling his lower lip as he watched a cecilia stand beneath his stature. It was amusing to witness one.

Cecilias were sensitive flowers, liking the cool and windy than the hot and summery. Imagine his surprise when he saw one.

Kneeling down, he let took of his glove— caressing it with gentleness as if his thumb was holding a certain someone.

Someone he could no longer grab the way he used was supposed to do.

No matter. She's still there, alive.

In his heart and soul that is.

She may not be there physically, but he knew.

He knew that her spirit continued to watch over him and her loved ones.

He knew that as he stood up from his position, and went back to his research— that Cascade was happy knowing that he'd been living the life like she would have wanted to.

He knew that she's glad that he had moved on.

That he had found someone to love.

"Sucrose, dear?"

Though it was quite an understatement, he did found love with his assistant. But it wasn't the same.

For his heart, he sworn to be Cascade's to own, and Cascade's to hold.

He was hers from beginning to end.

He was hers forever.

And She to him.

--

"Hey Albedo! Come look at the stars. Beautiful aren't they?"

"Mhmm. Yeah. Beautiful indeed."