you broke your promise part 2

"jared i really am proud of your progress. i know in your state of mind it can be hard to come to terms with achievement, but you should be proud of yourself, i am" you praise jared as you walk him out of your office, placing a gentle and friendly hand on his shoulder.

"i don't think you realise how much that means to me" he tells you, his gaze staying on your face for a little too long.

"alright, well i'll see you for our next session. have a good night" you say to him before offering a kind smile, walking back into your office.

that's currently your life. you're now a therapist full time and you love it. you'll admit, moving on from spencer reid wasn't easy, especially after spending so long together. but you did it, you got your degree, you started over and you're happy.

2 years ago...

"6389 baker street please" you whisper out, your voice shaky.

"are you alright?" asks the middle aged cab driver.

"y-yeah" you lie, keeping your gaze out of the window.

it isn't long until the taxi parks in front of penelopes apartment complex, him coming around to help you with your bags.

you reach into your pocket, fumbling around to find the $20 bill you had in your coat.

"don't worry sweet heart" he tells you, gently placing a hand on your shoulder.

you smile thankfully before wheeling your suitcase behind you, dragging it up the steps. you buzz penelopes apartment, waiting for her to let you in. making your way up to her apartment you prepare for what you're going to say. do you tell her the truth? do you say you guys broke up or that you guys had a fight?

penelope meets you halfway, much to your surprise.

"come here doll" she opens her arms out, no explanation needed.

clearly she had her doubts about spencer too.

"i'm so sorry, i'm so sorry" she whispers into your shoulder, stroking your hair.

that's how it was for weeks on end. you couldn't bring yourself to go back to that apartment, that was until derek came over and saw you and he practically forced you off of pens couch, helping you settle back into your apartment.

you'll admit, the first couple of weeks... months were odd without spencer. seeing all the empty spaces where his things belonged, the empty side of the bed, the empty half of the closet.

but, one day it finally kicked in. spencer had already moved on, he's living happily with maia, it's time you move on too. so that's what you did.

you studied day and night, graduating top of your class with your degree in psychology. you found an office you liked and that was suitable for your area, and you got the job. you've seen a few guys over the past couple of years, but none of them have become official. you're still in contact with penelope all the time, derek every now and then.

you're happy, but there is still that missing piece you can feel.

present...