Chapter 63: Have A Nice Life

63. Have A Nice Life

I looked over at Aaron, who was seated in the passenger seat of my car. "Are you sure you're okay?"

He chuckled. "I'm okay."

I nodded and leaned back into my seat, watching the ceremony continue. It was Aaron's graduation, but he couldn't really be there because he didn't want to cause a distraction. So we were parked beside the school field, watching from a close enough distance. I felt bad for him though. For me, I was going to attend mine. Yeah sure, people stared at me and made comments and were weirdly nice to me in school, but a lot of the kids that attended Sterling were used to high profile personalities so I didn't feel like a fish out of water. Not like he did.

He held out his hand to me and I gladly put mine in, his fingers interlocking and holding on to mine.

"Sorry I keep asking," I said. "There's just some things that you shouldn't have to miss you know?"

He nodded thoughtfully, and then unbuckled his seatbelt. "You know what? You're right."

When he got out of the car I did the same, very confused. "Aaron, what are you doing?"

"I spent the last four years of my life keeping my head down Morgan," he told me. "I'm walking that damn stage."

I smiled, happy that he changed his mind. "Are you sure though?"

Aaron nodded and took my hand. "Yup, now come on, we need to get Justin's attention."

Hand in hand, we crouched down and raced across the football field as quickly and as inconspicuously as possible. There was an empty tent set up behind the row Justin was in and so we hid in there.

"How are we going to get his attention?" Aaron asked.

An idea popped into my head and I picked up a few tiny pebbles off the ground. "Let me try."

I poked my head through the opening and threw the first one, but I missed. The second one hit someone who wasn't Justin. I pulled back into the tent as quickly as possible before whoever it was could notice me.

Aaron laughed. "You're going to have to aim better than that Morgan."

I chuckled. "Alright, just let me try again."

I poked my head back out to aim and threw the third pebble, this time hitting my target.

Justin slapped the back of his neck and turned, looking confused as ever. We locked eyes and I gestured for him to come over. He got up and approached us.

"What are you two doing?" he asked. "Dude, I thought you were laying low."

"I'm taking my diploma on stage," Aaron told him. "Now give me your cap and gown."

"Are you sure about this?"

"Positive," Aaron replied. "Come on, they're almost on the last names beginning with S."

Hurriedly, Justin took off his cap and gown, and helped Aaron throw it over his t-shirt and cargo shorts.

"Okay," Aaron said, a bright smile gracing his face. "I'm going out there now."

He was so cute. I laughed and pushed him outside the tent, hiding behind Justin so we could both watch him.

When their principal called his name, a silence fell over the audience. Everyone was busy turning their heads to see whether the famous Apollo was going to show up. When Aaron's figure mounted the stage, applause and cheering resounded, and many people took their phones out to capture him in picture and on video.