Page 34

34.

"Angel?" I screamed in shock.

He replied "That's right!"

"I'm sorry, you scared me. I didn't know that you'd be joining Stephanie and I... You know, with everything going on."

He looked at me as he offered me a seat "Stephanie was never going. She thought that I wouldn't go but she can't represent the company. She doesn't, I guess have what it takes."

I let out a grin and said "I guess not."

I didn't know what to say to him but I was grateful that he was here and not his wife. Angel was a cocky asshole but Stephanie? She was an ego driven bitch. I saw him a few times get caught in his thoughts, I could tell his mom was on his mind, he caught me looking.

*he chuckled* "you act like I'm carrying her."

"No, I'm simply admiring your strength, I don't think I could be here right now, given the circumstances."

"Deysire, my mother begged me to come back and take over the company so that my dad could retire early. So, you see? This is what she wanted."

"I get it." I said.

I decided to ask about Frank, considering I had ignored him for two days.

"Mr. Frank? How is he?"

Angel smiled and said

"Well dad is dad. Never letting us see him break, putting his best foot forward. But he's holding up."

"That's good. Seems like Stephanie isn't taking it too well. She seemed a little cranky the other day"

He let out a loud laugh

"She's always like that. Between you and I, my mother hated Stephanie. She would always throw jabs at her to break her confidence."

It made sense, Stephanie was crying that night because Roberta had tore her down.

I asked him

"Is it because she's white?"

He grinned "oh no! Mom was a lot of things, but not a racist. She just never took to Steph's personality. She'd tell me "Angel, I know she can't cook",  And when I'd ask her why she thought that, she'd say "cause her personality is bland and ya food is a reflection of ya personality."

We both laughed. I said "She was really sweet to me."

He said "Oh trust me, she liked you. When Stephanie excused herself to use the restroom after you left dinner, mom looked at dad and said "Now, Angel should have married Desiree."

I let out a laugh as I remembered her calling me that.

Angel tilted his head back and said

"Alrighty, I'm going to get in a nap. Enjoy the food, drinks or whatever."

"Thank you." I said