Chapter 4

Owen, Anya and the security guard walked over to the wall where a construction worker was assessing the scratch marks on the wall.

Anya's fingers were coated in white dust as she ran them down the smooth patch of concrete that the claws of the Indominus had created.

"That wall is 40 feet high. You really think she could have climbed out?" the security guard asked as they all looked up, Anya still focused on the scratch marks on the wall.

"Depends," Owen answered.

"On what?"

"What kind of dinosaur they cooked up in that lab."

Anya's heart then stopped completely when the radio on the security guard's shoulder began to go off and the only words she processed were, "It's in the cage! It's in there with you!"

"GO!" Owen yelled as he pushed Anya in front of him and they ran, the construction worker in front of them but the security guard trailing behind in his unfit state.

Then the ground began to shake as the sound of branches breaking filled the air and the three of them stopped abruptly as the Indominus Rex towered above them, blocking them from the door they'd entered through.

It was white as snow, with claws like talons that were itching to drip with blood as it roared and Owen's hand grabbed Anya's as they bolted back the way they came.

Her heart clenched at the sound of the construction worker's screams as she heard the crunch of bone as the Indominus ate him and the security guard opened the large door to the paddock which soon began to close, their window for escape shortening as Owen and Anya ran faster, the roars and heavy footsteps sending adrenaline coursing through their bodies.

Just making it out of the gate, the Indominus roared as it got caught and fought against the motor-controlled door as Owen shoved Anya and himself underneath a massive truck.

With both of them on their stomachs, they didn't dare move as gravel dug into the palms of their hands and pressed against their clothes as the Indominus took its first steps outside its cage.

With their hearts in their throats, they watched as the dinosaur made its way over to where the security guard was hiding in front of a construction truck, staring straight at them.

You could see him whimpering as he kissed the cross around his neck and the dinosaur knocked the truck, flipping it over as it crashed. A crash that sent glass flying everywhere as Owen and Anya shielded their heads, before looking back and watching as the dinosaur swallowed the worker.

Flipping onto her side, Anya pulled a knife from her boot as she found the gas line and cut it, pouring the liquid all over her and Owen as to disguise their scents.

They both lay on their sides, facing one another, Owen with his back to the dinosaur as it lowered its blood-stained mouth next to the truck they hid under.

Watching her eyes growing wide, Owen gently placed a hand over Anya's mouth, stopping the girl from breathing too heavy. She met his green eyes that were equally as terrified as hers and she brought both her hands up to intertwine with his, their breaths stuck in their lungs, chests unmoving.

Their lungs screamed as their eyes shut, squeezing each other's hands tightly as the Indominus inhaled, sniffing.

Anya flinched as it let out a thundering roar, convinced she'd burst an eardrum from the level of noise as she heard the thud of its footsteps as it left.

As they opened their eyes to watch the Indominus leave, both of them sighed in relief as Owen pulled her in closer for a hug, her head resting on his dampened shirt, rising and falling with his chest.

They both flinched this time as Anya's phone rang.

Breathless chuckles fell from their mouths as Anya retrieved her phone from her pocket, seeing that her father was calling.

They were both still heaving, Anya's head now resting on the crook of Owen's shoulder as she brought the phone to her ear.

"Hi Papa," Anya said cheerily as if nothing was wrong.

"Anya! Thank the gods! Beti, are you alright?"

"Well, I'm alive. Still don't know if I'm alright. Owen's alive too," she replied.

"Are you still at the paddock?"

"Yes."

"The Indominus is heading south. I want you to get in a car and get to the control room. Now."

"Got it. See you soon, Papa. Love you."

"I love you too. Be safe."

She hung up and tucked her phone away before rolling onto Owen, a hand resting on his stomach as their legs tangled together and his hand lay on her back as they still heaved, coming down from their adrenaline high.

"Think we could just hide here and hope that the Indominus falls into the volcano?" she asked with her eyes closed.

"The volcano's not active," Owen pointed out.

"Yep, but that crater is deep enough that she'll never be able to climb her way out."

Owen huffed a laugh as his other hand moved to hold Anya, laying it on her upper arm.

Silence washed over them for a minute more before Owen finally said, "We've gotta go."

Anya groaned in annoyance but opened her eyes anyway as she rose from Owen's shoulder, careful to not hit her head on the undercarriage of the truck they hid under.

"Alright. But I'm driving."