Chapter 11

After hitching a ride to the main street of the park, Owen and Anya were handed tranquillizer guns as they ran, heading out with a group of guards to shoot down all the terrorising dinosaurs.

Claire jumped up on a fallen food stand as she called out for her nephews while the group took aim, shooting down the prehistoric birds.

And Anya didn't miss a single shot, her anger and grief fuelling her aim.

It was like she was in a trance as she shot, the ancient animals falling like flies, the animals that killed her father.

She was only broken out of it but the sound of Owen yelling out as he fought off a Dimorphodon.

His back was pressed to the asphalt as he barely held it at bay, its jaws snapping at him relentlessly, and Anya wasted no time in kicking it off him before placing three in its chest.

As Claire hugged her nephews, finally reunited once more, Anya pulled Owen to his feet, except he didn't let go of her hand.

He pulled her closer.

And Anya's wave of anger and grief that was keeping her going dissipated as his lips met hers.

Despite all the things that weighed down Anya's shoulders, this one kiss with Owen, this one kiss that she'd been imagining what it felt like for the longest time, made everything feel a little lighter.

She was about to drop her tranquillizer gun and place her hand on his chest as his free hand was on her neck when a voice said, "Who are they?" and they pulled apart.

"We work together," Claire answered her nephews awkwardly as Owen reclaimed his tranq gun, hand still linked with Anya's.

The boys gave her looks of disbelief as they stared from their aunt to the couple behind her.

"Hey," Owen interrupted and Claire spun. "We gotta go," he informed, and Claire pushed the boys to walk in front of her as Anya went to call on her anger and grief only for Owen to squeeze her hand, his touch reminding her that she still had someone, that she was not alone.

But as he pulled her towards the car, Claire's phone rang and when she answered, Anya did not like what she overheard.

Hoskins was in charge.

The board of directors of her father's company had assigned emergency ops to InGen's private security division, seeing as her father was dead and they had no idea if Anya was alive.

And not even Owen's words and gestures of comfort could calm the wave of rage that washed over her, because it washed over Owen too as Claire asked Lowry for clarification, saying, "What do you mean use the raptors?"

"Son of a bitch!" Anya swore as they stopped, a black military helicopter flying overhead as Grey said, "You shouldn't say bitch."

"Take the kids and get them somewhere safe," Owen ordered Claire lowered the phone from her ear and they all turned to where a huge crowd had broken through the large metal doors that kept them out, a few Dimorphodons and Pterosaurs still chasing after them.

They ran for the car.

Owen jumped behind the wheel, Anya in the passenger seat as Claire hopped in the back with her nephews, her in the middle and Zach and Grey on either side as Owen threw the car in reverse.

While Anya wasn't as worried as Claire and the boys, who were yelling at Owen to drive faster, she still felt relieved slightly when she wasn't being run at by a giant horde of people.

The car was filled with heavy breaths as Owen braked, the SUV out of the way of the flood of people.

"This does not feel safe," Zach said.

"Can we stay with you?" Grey asked.

"I am never leaving you as long as you live," Claire promised when the boys instantly clung onto the back of the front seats, fingers brushing on Owen and Anya's shoulders as they exclaimed urgently, "No, no, them!"

Claire was a little hurt but understood her nephews' choice, meeting Owen and Anya's gazes in the rear-view mirror.

"Yeah, definitely them," Grey confirmed, his brother nodding in agreement.

But the three family members were all thrown back in their seats as Owen drove the car forward, the crowd gone, after his eyes met Anya's and saw the anger behind them as well as the silent message.

She just lost her father, and she wasn't about to lose her girls too.