Chapter 54

Ellie chuckled as she and Owen walked into the darkened server room.

"I don't suppose you're the type to have nightmares about what happened?" she asked, and Owen swallowed.

"Not anymore. Not after I saw what it did to Anya. She's stronger than I'll ever be," he admitted as they moved slowly through the labyrinth-like room, his wife's knife in hand.

She huffed as she hefted the taser in her hand.

"You're a good husband. Better than mine was."

"I take it you two didn't part on good terms?"

"Not exactly. Our love just kind of... faded, I guess. He was a little bitter about it. I kind of regret not admitting it sooner. I regret a lot of things actually," Ellie replied as they moved, their skin red from the dim glow of the lights on the servers.

"As crappy as everything was, I don't regret a thing," Owen revealed, still looking straight ahead as they moved as silently as possible.

"Really?" Ellie questioned.

"Yeah," Owen answered. "Because it got me my family. They're the reason why I keep trying to move forward."

Ellie shrugged even if Owen didn't see it.

"You're not wrong. I wouldn't trade my kids for the world, but I –"

Elli cut herself off as she rounded a corner and hit Owen's arm that was extended to stop her from walking through what she hoped were dead locusts that lay on the floor between them and the server they needed to reroute the power.

"Are those-"

"The locusts? Yep," Ellie answered seeing as Owen hadn't seen them in person before, at least went they weren't on fire as all of them were smoking. "No one said there'd be bugs."

"Ready to do this?" Owen asked as she took a deep breath.

"Not at all but we don't really have another choice."

"That's what I like to hear. Let's go," Owen replied as they made their way to the server.

They were walking even slower than before as they placed their feet in the gaps between bugs, trying their hardest not to crunch on the glass.

"We've got you. It's right down that aisle. It's right down that aisle where you are – why are they skulking in? you can sprint right for it," came Malcolm's voice over the walkie talkie and Owen simply bit his lips in frustration as they made it to the other side.

"Okay. Here it is," Ellie announced as she crouched down to get a better look at the buttons while Owen pulled down the glass panel in front of them.

"Okay, so it-it'll be a yellow button on a grid of six," came Ramsey's voice.

"There's a green button. Do you see a green button? It's not that green button," Malcolm said as he and Ramsey began to argue. "For from the bottom."

"Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Forth one up?" Ellie questioned into the walkie.

"Third one down or fourth one up – same thing," Malcolm replied.

"I'd kinda like a solid answer so I won't have to be a plane crash for the second time today," Owen muttered, still staring aimlessly at the brightly coloured buttons.

"Ian, be specific," Ellie ordered.

"I don't know how to be more specific other than to say that the one you want is marked with –"

"E1!" both of them exclaimed as they finished Malcolm's sentence.

"E1," Ian repeated as Owen lifted his finger.