Chapter 30

There were no words to describe the sense of relief Anya felt when she walked into Blue's truck to find her still alive and Zia at her side.

"Oh, my god! You guys are alive!" Zia exclaimed as she pulled the stethoscope from her ears and Anya and Owen motioned for her to be quiet as Owen helped Claire and Franklin inside.

"Hey, girl. I'm right here Blue. You're going to be ok," Anya said to Blue as she ran a hand down her muzzled jaw.

"Oh, look what they've done to her," Owen exhaled as he made his presence known to Blue who seemed to calm down a bit more despite how much pain she was in.

"Who are these assholes?" Zia asked, still pressing down a cloth to Blue's wound.

"Animal traffickers," Anya answered as she tried to soothe Blue.

"Look how they're treating them. They're not gonna take them to a sanctuary, they're going to sell them," Owen finished.

"Not Blue. They need her for something else," Zia informed.

"Like what?" Claire questioned.

"I don't know but she's haemorrhaging, and I don't have instruments and they want to keep her alive," Zia said panicked as Blue moved again, Owen this time being the one to shush her and she calmed.

"You're alright. You're alright," he soothed, and Zia called Claire over.

"Come here. Put your hand here. Steady pressure," Zia instructed and Blue screeched as best she could with the muzzle, Owen and Anya trying to calm her, hating to see her in so much pain.

"Did you take the bullet out?" Anya asked and Zia shook her head.

"I can't take the bullet out without a transfusion from another animal. Which one of you knows how to find a vein?"

"Anya does," Owen spoke up. "Before the raptors were born, she was a handler to all the dinosaurs at the park, sometimes she had to do an emergency transfusion when a fight got too bad."

"Great!" Zia exclaimed as she handed Anya a blood bag and a long needle. "All the animals should be sedated. Look for any kind of Tetanuran, their blood type should be close enough. Look for carnivore with two or three fingers, no more than three," she instructed as Owen walked over, having talked Franklin into helping Claire. "I think there's one on board."

Owen glanced and Anya and before they knew it, they were standing in front of Rexane's cage.

******************************************************************

"You ready?" Owen asked as Anya inhaled a nervous breath as he opened the door as quietly as possible.

"So long as she stays asleep," Anya said as they climbed into the truck.

Rexane's breaths were loud as Owen dared tap on her nose before they jerked back, checking to see if she was truly asleep.

Owen then shuffled along the right side of her head as he confirmed, "She's tranqed."

He then placed his hand on her skin, gently sliding it around until he found a vein. "Ok. Ok. I got it. Come on."

Just as Anya walked forward, Rexane moved her head to the right, trapping Owen.

"Sailor! Are you ok?!" she whisper-yelled.

"I'm ok," he strained as he stuck his thumb into the air. "But you gotta climb up there, cos I've gotta use both my hands to put pressure on the vein, her skin is too thick."

Anya sighed heavily through her nose before gritting her teeth and swinging herself up onto Rexane's neck.

"Gently! Gently!" Owen cautioned as Rexane began to move, and Anya did the only thing she could think of.

She starting singing.

Three lines into Night Moves Rexane calmed, her head on the left side of the cage as Owen moved, no longer pinned.

"Are you singing Bob Seger right now?" Owen asked in disbelief as she gently sat up, pulling out the needle.

"I didn't realise I always had it playing whenever I worked with Rexane. But when I did notice, I realised that she was always calmer, more placid when it played. So, naturally..."

"I have never wanted to marry you more," Owen said, dumbfounded, and Anya had to laugh.

"As much as I want to say yes, you are not proposing to me while I'm sitting on a T-rex on a boat full of people who tried to kill us and who probably still want to."

"Well, you are going to say yes, right?" he asked hesitantly, and she smirked at him, his hands still on Rexane's skin.

"Unless you want me to say no?"

She didn't give him a chance to answer before jamming the needle through Rexane's thick skin and the dinosaur flinched.

Rexane swung her head to the right again, slamming it against the metal side of the truck.

"Owen!" Anya called out as Rexane moved slightly and Owen pulled away from her, his face covered in saliva. "Sailor, are you ok?"

"This smells so much," was all Owen said as the blood began to flow through the tube and into the blood bag.

"Don't take this the wrong way, I mean I love you and all, but you're having a bath before I kiss you."

"I wouldn't kiss me either," he joked as he tried to wipe it off his face before he warned Anya to be quiet as he heard voices approaching.

And then the worst thing happened, they shut the door. And then locked it.

Anya took it back.

That wasn't the worst thing.

The worst thing was when Rexane's eyes fluttered open and landed on Owen and she let out a deafening roar as she moved her head from side to side so suddenly that Anya slipped off her back, her body slamming into the side of the truck.

Landing next to Owen, he half-checked her over once as Rexane let out another thundering roar and he spotted a way out.

Grabbing the blood bag and using Rexane's massive bent legs as a step up, Owen climbed up through the large bars on the roof of the cage.

As he ran across it and jumped down, Anya tried escaping the way he did but Rexane's little hand broke free of its chains, blocking her escape.

But while the hand may have been little in comparison to the rest of the T-rex, it was massive compared to Anya as Rexane roared again, Anya squeezing her eyes shut as she tried to make herself as small as possible.

"Jump Rani!" Owen called as he opened the door, blocking his ears slightly from the ear-splitting roar.

But Anya couldn't jump. She was trapped between Rexane's jaws and her claws.

"Baby, Jump!"

So, she did.

She barely rolled out of the way of her jaws before jumping out of the truck and crashing on the ground as Owen closed the door.

"Rani! Anya! You alright?" he asked worriedly, both their chests still heaving as she crouched next to her.

"Just bruised," she said as she pulled up her leggings to reveal the dark purple bruise that was beginning to form, likely from when Rexane had slammed her head into the wall before Anya fell off her back. "The same damn knee as last time too," she noted. "Please tell me you got the blood."

Owen nodded as he held up the bag.

"Ok. We gotta get outta here. Can you walk?"

"Yeah. Yeah. Just help me up."

Owen pulled her to her feet as Anya tested out her knee, a slight pain shooting up her leg as she put weight on it, but she was fine enough to move.

Now she just hoped that they weren't too late to save Blue.