Chapter 15

After giving the raptors the scent of the Indominus from the torn piece of flesh from its tracking implant, the van full of armed men along with Barry on a quad bike and Owen and Anya on motorcycles were waiting anxiously to go.

And when Barry gave Owen a nod that he repeated to the intern Anya saved today, her bike rumbled to life as the intern pressed the button, and the raptors were released.

Anya's freshly tied braid was pointless as the wind whipped at it, more of her hair falling free as they shot after the velociraptors, the night air and metal of her gun cold against the grime-covered, knotted shirt she wore.

A shirt that just so happened to be one of Owen's that she decided to use after he left it at her house after crashing there after a long meeting in the control room.

He hadn't even realised that it was his as a knotted shirt was Anya's normal uniform.

But she ignored the bite of the cold as she and Owen navigated their bikes through the jungle, their girls running beside them.

And she couldn't help but smile.

Despite the task they were going to complete, it was a feeling of freedom like no other as they raced through the terrain, Barry and the van on their tails.

"They're slowing down," Barry then said, his voice audible through the communication pieces they all wore.

"They got something," Owen said into his vest, that being where his mic was, and the feeling of freedom was short-lived as they brought their bikes to a stop, the van pulling up behind them.

"Stay close," Owen whispered to Anya as the men began to file out of the van, guns poised as they took position behind the raptors, waiting.

"You stay close," she shot back as she ran forward with the men, taking a position on the front line behind a large tree as Barry appeared on her left and Owen on her right, red aiming lasers flaring to life.

And then came the familiar shaking of the ground as the Indominus approached, emerging through the vines of ivy that dangled from the canopy, red dots scattering over its body as it moved.

No one moved an inch as the Indominus growled and Blue chirped back, the two seeming to engage in conversation and Anya knew that her, Owen and Barry's hearts all stopped.

"Something's wrong. They're communicating," Barry said, voicing Anya's thoughts as they continued to watch the exchange.

"I know why they wouldn't tell us what it's made of," Owen muttered.

"Why?" Barry asked.

"Because that thing is part raptor," Anya finished and a cloud of dread seemed to settle over them as the raptors turned on them, eyes seeming to go straight to Anya.

But before anyone could make a move, a soldier yelled, "ENGAGE!"

And the sound of gunfire filled the air.

The Indominus ran, only to be knocked to the ground by a missile that was launched at it.

But it got up.

And as they kept firing, it disappeared into the darkness, leaving the raptors behind.

"Watch your six! Raptors got a new alpha!" Anya warned as they reloaded, eyes peeled for the smaller dinosaurs.

It didn't take long.

Less than a minute if she had to guess.

It was less than a minute before screams sounded and guns were firing blindly in the dark as the raptors stuck.

Owen and Anya were back-to-back as they crept through the jungle, guns at the ready when they spotted a tail sticking up out of the tall grass, wiggling as one of the raptors ate.

Its head then peeked up and they found themselves face to face with Charlie. 

Anya had already lowered her gun, standing in front of Owen whose gun was also down, the same as Charlie looked at them, head tilted to the side.

But before any attempt at communication could be made, the couple were sent flying through the air as a missile hit Charlie and she was killed on impact as the missile exploded.

"Hey! Rani? Hey! Are you good?" Owen asked as he turned to the girl who'd landed next to him on her side.

"Hey?" he asked softly as she pushed herself into a sitting position.

"I'm ok," she promised as she gripped her gun tighter, grief building. "We lost her."

"I know," Owen said softly as his hand cupped her cheek, but any other words of comfort or sympathy from either of them were cut short as the sound of yelling drew their attention to where the other men had escaped on everything but their two motorcycles, likely none of them knowing how to ride them.

Pulling each other to their feet, they ran for the bikes, but before Anya could get on hers or voice how worried she was about Barry, Owen said, "Leave yours. Barry would never leave without us and he'll need a ride."

"Why don't you leave yours then?" Anya argued, wanting to be the one to drive and knowing that Owen would not want to trust her driving on the bike; she was a speed demon.

"Anya, shut up and get on my damn bike," Owen urged softly, and before she could be stubborn about it, they heard Barry's screams for help.

Anya jumped on the bike, grabbing onto Owen as he kicked it into gear and revved the engine like he would click his clicker.

He let out a summoning whistle before spinning the bike around, taking off into the jungle with Anya holding onto him tight as Blue chased them, her roar echoing into the night.