Chapter 49

(A/N: Bhagavan madat karo is Hindi for God help me. Hope you enjoy. XxD)

******************************************************************

"Are you ok? You alright?" he asked after a minute, pushing the hair that had flown loose from her braid behind her ears.

All she could do was nod, not even wanting to think about the fact that she was on a plane right now.

"Where, uh, where's Claire?' she asked after a second, Owen continually rubbing her arms, the action working to calm her down as he held her close because it hadn't helped that she'd just watched him almost die.

"Got her leg scratched pretty bad by one of 'em. Barry's taking care of her. He offered to have her help dismantle Malta's dinosaur trade and she jumped at it. She's alright, though," he explained, Anya focusing on his words as she tried to calm herself, which wasn't really working as they eventually made their way up to the cockpit.

"Kayla Watts," their pilot introduced herself as Owen sat Anya down in the seat behind Kayla while he took the co-pilot chair. "You're welcome."

"You don't look like you fly for Biosyn," Owen remarked as he alternated between looking out the front window and checking back on Anya whose hands were still shaking as she tried to strap herself in her seat.

"I'm gonna take that the way you meant it and not the way it sounded," Kayla replied as Owen put on a set of headphones. "I fly for whoever got a bag, but we'll call this one a favour," she answered before she saw what Owen was wearing. "Those don't work. They broke."

He took them off before moving to Anya and helping strap her in because she was growing both nervous and frustrated at her inability to do them up.

"I'll take ya'll to Biosyn, but I can't promise it won't be dangerous," Kayla continued.

"You willing to risk your life for people you never met?" Owen inquired.

"You wanna ask questions or you want a ride?" she fired back.

"We'll take the ride," he answered as he finished strapping in his wife and moved to hold her hands. "You're going to be alright, baby," he whispered as she nodded rapidly while squeezing his hands.

Owen brought her hands up to his lips, kissing her tattoo before he let her hands go. "I'm going to be right up there," he promised as he pointed it out before moving to his own seat that didn't have a seat belt.

For the next couple hours all Anya did was stare at her tattoo, translating the numbers in her head and muttering them aloud as she tried to pretend that she wasn't on a plane right now.

She remembered how cold it was that day even though the sun was shining.

The heat of the fire Owen made.

The pillowcase that Maisie had placed on her head like a veil because she insisted that if she wasn't wearing a fancy dress or ring, she had to at least have the veil.

The pinch of the tattoo gun as it stabbed her finger repeatedly.

The gourmet feast of a cheeseburger and fries that they had from some fast-food joint for their wedding night dinner.

And though they didn't get to consummate their marriage until the next night, the way they'd sat with Maisie in front of the tv as they watched movie after movie like an actual family that weren't fugitives in hiding was one of the best moments of her life.

And it worked, for the most part, her head eventually leaning back against her chair as she breathed deeply and stopped muttering.

At least until Kayla broke the silence and Anya sat up straighter in her chair.