Chapter 17

The raptors turned to face the larger dinosaur who continued roaring and chittering, communicating with the pack.

But Blue only turned back to where Owen and Anya stood side by side and chittered.

And they couldn't help the smirk that grew on their faces as they understood her.

Blue then turned and roared at the Indominus, who in turn roared back before throwing Blue into a building, the raptor falling and not getting up.

Anya wanted nothing more than to run to her and check if she was alright when the Indominus took a step forward and Owen pulled her back, both of them with their arms out, shielding Claire and the boys.

At least until Delta and Echo roared at the Indominus, and Anya whistled.

As the raptors attacked, Owen and Anya scrambled for their guns as the family ran around the prehistoric battle.

"I got them!" Anya said to Owen who nodded as she ushered them into a souvenir stand, the structure sheltering them as Anya stood outside and fired, Owen standing closer as he shot, before taking cover to reload, Anya still going.

But as Owen fiddled with the bullets, Anya's shots were making little difference to penetrate the dinosaur's thick skin as her precious raptors were thrown to the floor over and over again only to get back up.

"Anya!" Grey called as Owen peaked over the statues of the mosquitos trapped in amber and began shooting again.

"What?" she asked as she reloaded, leaning over the counter of the stand.

"We need more teeth," was all he said, and a crazy, insane lightbulb went off in her head.

Sticking her head inside, she reached into the first aid box she knew was next to the window and pulled out a flare before turning to Claire and the boys.

"Stay here. Don't move. It's going to be fine. I'll be right back," she promised before she turned to watch Owen's gun jam.

"Sailor, catch!" she called as she threw her gun towards him, the weapon landing on the ground a little bit from him as he scrambled for it.

But his eyes widened in shock as he watched Anya bolt off, manoeuvring her way through a skeleton statue and he could do nothing but cock her gun and keep shooting as their raptors risked their lives to fight the Indominus.

Her lungs burned, a stitch forming in her side as she pushed herself faster, making her way to paddock 9.

Holding the flare between her teeth, Anya wasted no time in finding the keypad hidden behind a directional sign, something her father had built into all the paddocks in case of an emergency.

And after scanning her fingerprint and punching in her own master code, the industrial door began to rise.

Her feet ached inside her combat boots, her hips and knees screaming as her chest heaved and she lit the flare, and the T-rex came closer.

"Alright, Rexane, let's do this," she muttered before taking a deep breath, moving the flare backwards to get her attention and Rexane roared.

And with the T-rex chasing her, Anya ran.