Chapter 34

"Do you remember the first time you ever saw a dinosaur?" Claire asked after a while, the couple sitting on one side of the cell and Claire on the other as she looked over to see a mother and baby dinosaur in a cage. "First time you see them it's like a miracle. You read about them in books, you see the bones in the museums but you don't really believe it. They're like myths. And then you see, the first one alive."

"I was there to see the very first one alive," Anya murmured, looking down to where her hands played with a piece of straw as Owen sat next to her. "The very first dinosaur recreated from the genetic material recovered from the original park, 3 years after John Hammond entrusted my father with his dying wish."

Owen's arm wrapped around her shoulders as he kissed her temple. "This isn't your fault," he promised. "Or yours," he said to Claire.

"But it is," Claire said softly.

"No. This one's on me," Owen said and Anya looked up at him in surprise. She hadn't expected him to take the blame.

"I showed them the way."

Anya shook his arm off her as she stood.

"Look, we can play the blame game all we like, or, we can get off our asses, get out of this cell and fix this mess."

"If we can fix it," Claire pointed out.

"Oh, we'll fix it," Owen said, hauling himself to his feet. "We have a cabin to finish."

Anya smiled at his words before a thud from the cell next to them drew their attention.

"What is that?" Claire asked as they looked to the barred window near the ceiling.

"Rani," Owen called and she took his hands as he crouched down and hoisted her onto his shoulders as she grabbed the bars and peered through.

"It's Riley," she said down to Owen.

"Who's Riley?" Claire asked.

"A Stygimoloch," Owen answered. "She was just a baby when we left the island. She still missing that horn?"

"Yep. Hey, Riles," Anya called through the bars and she looked up at her before she whistled and she crashed into the wall.

Owen then dropped Anya, to catch her in his arms bridal style before setting her on her feet, matching grins on their faces as they faced Claire and Owen said,

"We're getting out of here."

Anya whistled again and was answered by a thud as Claire flinched.

"What are you doing?" Claire asked, worried.

"Escaping," Anya answered as Owen whistled this time and Riley crashed into the wall, bricks beginning to crack.

"You sure about this?" Claire asked.

"Nope," the couple answered in unison before whistling again and the bricks began to crumble slightly but the wall still held.

Anya and Owen kept whistling and Riley kept crashing into the wall, but it still stayed up.

The next whistle, however, Riley busted through the insanely thick wall as he growled slightly, frightening Claire.

"Now what?" she asked, panicked.

"Hey! Riley! Eyes on me!" Owen called as he clapped his hands loudly to try and get his attention while Anya just moved to stand by the door.

She whistled and Riley turned to her.

With her knees bent, ready to jump, she grinned at the dinosaur.

"Ready to get out of here Riles?" she asked, and he grunted in return. "Come!" she yelled as she whistled again, and Riley charged.

Anya jumped, grabbing onto the higher bars as she pulled her lower body out of the way and Riley crashed through the door, busting it open.

"Now that is how you break out of a prison cell," Anya laughed as she stood outside, watching Riley run off.

"You're welcome!" Owen called after her, him and Claire stepping out of the cell.

The sound of whimpering then drew their attention to a little girl standing behind them.

But the second they turned around she ran into a hallway.

"Hey! Wait! Please!" Claire called gently as they chased after her, to find the girl trying to hide inside a dumbwaiter.

Her breathing was rapid, eyes red and puffy with tears but she froze as they stopped a few metres from her.

"That's Lockwood's granddaughter," Claire explained.

"Hey. Hey kid. You wanna come out from there?" Owen tried and she shook her head furiously.

Unsure of how to react, Owen turned to Anya and Claire.

"Sweetie, we're not gonna hurt you," Anya promised, holding her hands up as she took a slow step towards the girl. "My name is-"

"Anya."

Anya furrowed her brows as she looked back at Claire who shrugged.

"Yeah. How did you know that?" she asked softly.

"I saw your videos with the velociraptors. He's Owen," the girl answered, nodding at him.

"And this is Claire," Anya said pointing at her.

"Do you remember me?" Claire asked and she nodded.

"Sweetie, can you tell us your name?" Anya asked gently.

"Maisie. Maisie Lockwood."

"That's a pretty name Maisie," Anya said as she, Claire and Owen slowly moved closer. "Did you know I wanted to name one of my raptors Maisie?"

"Really?" Maisie asked and Anya smiled as she nodded.

"Yep. But beefcake over here said that Maisie wasn't cool enough for a raptor."

Maisie gave a small smile at that as Owen glared at his girlfriend but then said, "But Maisie is a pretty cool name for a human."

"Blue was my favourite," she said in a small voice.

"You like dinosaurs?" Anya asked and Maisie nodded.

"Ok," Owen said softly, stepping up to his girlfriend's side. "Well how about you come on down from there and we can tell you everything there is to know about Blue. That sound alright?" Owen asked and Maisie nodded.

For a few moments, her footsteps were the only sound as Maisie got out of the dumbwaiter and moved closer to them slightly.

"Maisie," Claire said kindly as she braced her hands on her knees. "We need some help finding your grandfather. Can you take us to him?"

Maisie began to cry as she shook her head.

"You made it down here by yourself huh?" Owen said and Maisie turned to him. "Brave kid. Looks like you could use a friend."

"He's gone," she cried as she ran to Owen and hugged him.

Anya both hated and loved the sight at the same time.

She loved seeing Owen interacting with Maisie but hated how sad Maisie was.

"Hey, I'll tell you what," Owen said softly as he crouched down a little after pulling away from their hug. "We were just about to go and find our friends and get the heck out of here. Want to come with us?"

"We could use a friend too," Anya said and Maisie nodded eagerly.

Owen then glanced to Anya who gave him a nod.

Looks like they were adopting a child.

And they weren't sad about it, not one little bit.