Chapter Thirty Two

~ Time Skip ~

It's been months since the slumber party. You began to go on missions with the team, they mainly have you sneak into places and gather intel or something because of your power of invisibility. Your birthday is coming up and it's making you recall everything that happened during your last birthday and how your life pretty much went to sh*t.

You've been on about 12 successful missions over the months. 3 of those missions were in the span of two weeks because the team's been on hydra's tail because they don't know if they'll get this close again. You got intel that hydra is trying to create a new super soldier serum and the research keeps moving or when you get close to the base they wipe the drives. So the next mission, you will go ahead of the team and once you get in the rest of the team will move in.

All these hydra missions and the fact that your birthday is in a few days is bringing up a lot of bad memories and emotions but you tried to keep it buried because you can't have anything distract you and the team from the mission.

~ at the base ~

"Alright y/n, we're stationed at the perimeter awaiting your signal" you heard through your com, "Roger dodger Captain" you replied back. "Please be careful and if you run into trouble do not hesitate to call for backup" you could tell Natasha was trying to hide the fact that she was worried. This was a dangerous mission for you because you hadn't had to go into a base alone before so you were nervous.

"I will" you replied as you became invisible. "I'm approaching the base now" you said and you spotted two guards guarding the opening. "We don't see you on the cams" Steve said and you stifled a laugh. "Popsicle that's kind of the point" Tony teased.

"Y/n you better make it out safe or I'll go in there and kill you myself" Natasha scolded but you could hear the sarcasm shining through.

"Okay, love you" you casually let out and when you process what you said you froze. It had been months since you both confessed you loved each other but you don't normally use the words so it shocked you at how effortlessly it left your mouth.

There was a moment of silence and you realized that it probably shocked her and the team as well, but it still hurt that she didn't say it back.

"Alright I'm going radio silent, be ready for my signal" you said before turning off your com. You took a deep inhale before making your way to the entrance, which was luckily wide open so you could easily slip into the base. This hydra base was bigger than the others so you hoped that it wouldn't take too long to find the lab and get out.

After rounding many hallways you finally made some progress. You had found the communications room but you had been using your powers for so long that you felt it taking a slight toll on your body. You entered the first storage room in sight and right as you shut the door you felt a familiar chill run through your body, indicating that your powers shut off.

You weren't sure exactly how long you had been in the base for but it felt like it was approaching an hour.

Steve said to try and check in every hour if it took that long and since you were recharging in a closet you thought now was the perfect time. You turned your com back on, "Hello does anyone copy?" you spoke into your wrist. "Y/n are you okay? What's taking so long?" Steve asked.

"There's a lot of hallways, I got lost. But I found-" you cut yourself off as you heard footsteps on the other side of the door. "Y/n?" Steve asked with a hint of worry.

"Sorry, I found the communications room and from there I should be able to find the lab" you responded.

"Good work, we're on standby if you need assistance" he assured, "Copy that, talk to you later" you turned off you com once again and turned invisible before opening the door carefully and checking if the coast was clear before leaving.

Lucky for you, there was a map of the base in the communications room so you were able to figure out your path.

You paused when you heard one of the men talking in the room. "Sir theres a foreign aircraft landed a mile out" you began to panic and make your way to the lab.

Since the hallway was empty you decided to run because you don't know if they'd begin to evacuate. You held up your wrist and spoke into your com, "Steve! Anyone there?" you spoke slightly out of breathe.

"Y/n what's wrong? Have you been compromised?" Natasha spoke this time. "No" was all you could let out as you stood trying to catch your breath. "Then why are you running?" she asked and you took a moment.

"They spotted the quintet" was all you said before you began running again, and finally arriving at the lab. "I'm at the lab" you walked through the doors.

"Do you see the serum?" Nat asked a little impatiently and your eyes darted around the room but there was no sign of any Serum or research on it. You were about to respond when a paper caught your attention.

"Nat I don't think they were making a super soldier serum" you say stunned. "What makes you think that?" Steve chimed in. "There's research but it's not on super soldiers"

"Then what's it on?" Steve's question rang through your ears but you were focused on the file in front of you. "Me" you let out almost as a whisper. "Y/n get out of there now!" Natasha yelled into your ear and you turned to leave.

Before you even had time to comprehend, a man lodged a syringe into your neck. "N-nat" was the last thing you said before you blacked out.