Chapter 1

Streams of light creeped out from under the curtains as Josephine became aware of her surroundings

Streams of light creeped out from under the curtains as Josephine became aware of her surroundings. She let out a morning groan as she stretched her hands underneath her pillow, and grabbed the silk sheets before turning onto her back.

" Today's the day." She thought, with a slight smile on her face as she stared up at her ceiling, painted with angels. Suddenly her bedroom door and in came a young girl in pink maid wear.

" Oh, your awake!" She said, smiling at the messy haired girl as she went to open the curtains.

" Hello Alice." Josephine groaned, as she stretched and sat up.

" Hello Miss Hydeton," Alice smiled again, walking over to her dressing room " I'd thought you'd be asleep."

" How could I!" Josephine said, swinging her legs over the bed and stood up, letting her nightgown fall to her ankles " I'm full of nerves."

" As I'd thought you'd be!" Alice called out from the dressing room " But maybe this," her voice sounded closer as she made her way back into the room " Will distract you a bit."

Josephine gasped as Alice ravelled a beautiful white and gold dress, attached to a long vale. " Let me have a closer look!" Josephine squealed, as she rushed towards Alice.

" I think we're gonna have to get some extra help getting this on you," Alice laughed, she gently placed down the dress onto a chair and walked towards a handle before giving it two sharp pulls notifying more maids to come up to Josephine's bedroom.

A few moments later two maids, this time one older and the other looking around Alice's age. " You look more beautiful and look more like your mother every day Josephine!" The older woman said, smiling brightly and rushing up to Josephine to place both of her hands on each side of her face and kissed her forehead.

" Oh really Marg' look at the state of my hair!" Josephine smiled, pointing at the mess of bushy hair that was once curly " And please, stop call me Josephine, it's just Jo!" Marg' was her mother's lady's maid before she passed, and was like a second mother to her - just like Violet Bridgerton.

" I shall call you the name your mother has decided to bless you with, may god rest her soul," Margery said, removing her hands from Jo's face and drawing a small cross on her chest " Now," she clapped her hands together " Let's see this dress!"

***

Jo looked at her self in awe, never had she looked so gorgeous

Jo looked at her self in awe, never had she looked so gorgeous. The dress just touched the floor, and spiralling up it were golden roses and vines ( a trade mark of Hydetons, as they grew the most beautiful roses in the country at their country side mansion, and up the walls of their city home). Across her chests, diamonds were placed strategically making her look like royalty. Her bushy hair was now back curly, and was put into an up do bun with single strands of curls falling down her smooth caramel skin.

" Beautiful," Margery said, smiling brightly at Jo " Now if that isn't a worthy bride, I don't know who is!"

" Yes, a bride." Jo said, looking at the mirror with a weird turning feeling in her stomach. It was never an aspiration of hers to get married and settled down so soon at the age of 20, but she quickly pushed those thoughts of wanting to explore the world aside at a young age in order to secure an eligible suitor as she would one day inherit all of her father's belongings, and her future husband will one day become The Earl of Wexstone.

" Come on, your papa is waiting for you," Margery said, walking behind Jo so she was behind the long vail " Alice, Anne please grab the vail and make sure she doesn't trip will you?" Margery walked back next to Jo and held out her arm so she could link arms, as Alice and Anne went to hold her vail.

***

" You look angelic my dear." Josephine's father said, taking her hand as she came to the bottom of the steps, as maids busily walked around their home.

" Are you crying Papa?" Jo said, raising her gloved hand to his face.

" Oh no, just got something in my eye, that's all." He said, brushing her hand away. Jo smiled and kissed her Papa's cheek lovingly.

" It's okay to get a bit teary eyed Papa." She said.

" Yes well, it's your day, a day your mother would've given anything to see," He said, looking up her portrait " She would be proud to see the young lady that stands before me."

" Thank you Papa." Jo said, smiling.

" I almost forgot, I have something for you!" Papa said, motioning towards a worker that worked at their home, and he stepped forward with a case on his arms. Jo's Papa stepped forward and inside it ravelled a golden tiara and a gold necklace with a pear shaped diamond dangling from it.

" They're beautiful Papa," Jo said, bowing slightly so he could place the tiara on her head, being careful not to mess up her carefully placed curls " Thank you

" They're beautiful Papa," Jo said, bowing slightly so he could place the tiara on her head, being careful not to mess up her carefully placed curls " Thank you."

" Do not thank me dear," Her Papa said, now holding up the necklace and Jo turned around " They were your mothers, she wore them when it was her day," She now turned back around to see her father's teary eyes once again " She would be proud of the lady you have become today," He reached up, and placed his hand on her cheek.

" Now, we must make haste, can't keep the Queen waiting." Papa said, kissing Jo's cheek and walking a head to make sure the carriage was ready. Jo took a deep breath, contemplating if she should even step foot out side, setting her future in stone. But again, she pushed those silly thoughts of being free, and walked towards the door one foot in front got the other.