Chapter 30

" You sure took your time," Collin said as Jo approached him, Lady Trowbridge's event already in full swing " Too busy doing your hair?"

" Ha!" Jo sarcastically laughed and threw her head back, as she took her rightful place by his side " Well aren't you one for jokes, missed me did you?"

" You would miss yourself too if you had to make idol conversations with frivolous lady's and they're pestering mamas!" Collin rolled his eyes.

" And is that the only reason why you missed me, hmm?" Jo raised her eyebrow teasingly.

" Well not the only-"

" A dance Lady Hydeton?" Lord Gremsby ( a pale sickly looking man with dark brown eyes and ginger hair) said, hand held outstretched.

Jo shared an apologetic look towards Collin before replying " Of course Lord Gremsby, it would be my honour."

" So," Lord Gremsby said, as the music began " How do you enjoy to spend your days?"

" Being left alone," Jo thought " A favourite pastime of mine is to read my Lord." She and the Lord then began to spin, but from the Corner of her eye she saw Collin take Miss Marina Thompson's hand and playfully whisked her around the room.

" Read?!" Lord Gremsby said, eyebrows raised.

" Mmmm" Jo hummed in reply, far to distracted by Collins and Marinas laughter.

" Why I do not think that is a popular phrase to say amongst the lady's!" Lord Gremsby stated.

" You do not say?" Jo's eyes tracking Collin across the ballroom floor.

" If I must say-" He began.

" You must?" Jo whispered, trying her best not to roll her eyes.

" I do not believe reading is a proper way for a lady to fill her days!"

" You don't?" Jo said, still not even fully present in the conversation they were having.

" No I don't, it makes Lady's too wild and and it causes them to ask too many questions and and-"

" It makes them too intelligent for their husbands to order them around like a dictator?" Jo was now finally present, she always was when a man started to ramble about what a woman should and should not do.

" Yes! No! I mean-"

" You mean you wish to control you bride instead of her making her own decisions in her life?"

" Well isn't that the proper way?" Lord Gremsby chuckled, which caused Jo's skin to prickle in anger.

" Is the proper way for a wife to be nothing more than a object of her husbands desire?!" Jo's eyebrows furrowed, but she still kept composure as they continued to dance and twirl at the correct moments.

" Now look, women are always so emotional." He rolled his eyes in annoyance.

" And men like you are always so heartless when it comes to talk about women." The song had finally come to a close, and Jo curtseyed " I would say it was a pleasure but... it is a sin to lie, goodbye Lord Gremsby." And with that Jo, walked swiftly away towards the edge of the room, leaving the Lord confused on what had just transpired on the ballroom floor.

" Gosh I hate men like that," Jo thought, as she mentally took a shiver and collected a macaroon from the waiters canopy. She then found herself, unconsciously scanning the room for the man who made her heart flatter, and there he was, making a swift direction towards her and away from Marina which made her smile to herself slightly.