Chapter 8

" Is something troubling you dearest?" Lady Danbury said, as they walked through the crowd " A certain Mr Bridgerton perhaps?"

" Oh gosh no Antie!" Jo said, quickly snapping out of her glare.

" My mistake," Lady Danbury said, smiling to herself " The annoyance in your eyes must've been directed at someone else then, yes?"

" There is no annoyance," Jo said, as she smiled at the men that starred at her " Just the light in my eyes that's all."

" Of course dearest!" Lady Danbury said, as they approach a very charming man " Silly of me to think such a thing," Jo was about to reply but her aunt had spoken again " Now this fine gentlemen here is Lord Dane, soon to be Earl of Downington!"

" Not so soon I hope Lady Danbury," The man said, smiling as he bowed. Lord Dane was incredibly handsome, far more than Lord Hughes. He had an ora to him that seemed to pull in every lady around him, including Jo. His eyes were the first thing Jo noticed, as they were an absolutely captivating green, that went well with his coat. And his hair almost appeared black but was proven wrong as the candle light revelled it to be brown.

" It is an absolute honour to meet you this fine night Lady Hydeton," He said, now bowing to Jo " Though I must say, your Aunt doesn't do justice on how beautiful you actually are."

" Thank you Lord Dane," Jo said, bowing her head slightly " You are most kind."

" Only stating an obvious fact my Lady, or shall I call you Countess as that is your proper title I believe?" Lord Dane said, raising an eyebrow.

" Oh erm, Lady or Miss is fine my Lord," Jo said, biting her lip slightly " I do find Countess too formal if I may say, as I only truly use it on such formal occasions."

" Ah I understand," Lord Dane said, nodding his head thoughtfully " I tend to gravitate toward Mr and Lord myself, as when I do take of the title Earl I shall believe myself an old boring man, one I'm not too fond of being!" He said, making himself and Jo laugh.

" I do as well resinate the title Countess as one who is far too prim and proper! One I am not too fond of being!" Jo said, making the both of them laugh again.

" If I may be too forward," Lord Dane said, looking at Lady Danbury for an unspoken permission " Would you join me for a dance? If your second dance is not reserved for a lucky man."

" I would be delighted to dance with you Lord Dane." Jo smiled, then looked over to her aunt.

" You go, I shall be greeting more people!" Lady Danbury said, and with that Lord Dane held out his hand and led Jo to the ballroom floor. Unfortunately for Jo, it was near Collin.

" So, what are you hobbies?" Jo asked, trying to block out the thought of Collin dancing with another girl.

" Straight to the point huh?" Lord Dane laughed, as he and Jo grabbed one another's hands and the person next to them and went in a circle.

" Oh I'm sorry I-" Jo began.

" No, no please do not apologise!" Lord Dane said, smiling down at Jo " I like when women are straight forward, non of that dancing around the question that I hate."

" Then I assure you, you won't find that when you're taking to me!" Jo laughed.

" Excellent!" Lord Dane said, as they all placed their hand in the middle of the circle " Well I do enjoy hunting, but riding if my favourite pass time."

" And so is mine!" Jo smiled.

" Well that is fortunate!" Lord Dane said " We have a lovely trail at Downington, that I'm sure you would like."

" I'm sure I will." Jo said shyly.

" So what are your own hobbies, I'm sure you are very accomplished." Lord Dane said.

" Well, as I've said before I do enjoy riding, I have two thoroughbred horses one is brown and he is called Atlas and the other is white and she is called Athena. I also love to read, write, paint and play the piano on occasions." Jo said.

" You really are accomplished!" Lord Dane laughed, as he raised his eye brows " Though I must say, reading and writing is not one I would've guess."

" And why is that?" Jo said.

" Most parents I believe, think that reading poisons the mind of a young lady such as your self."

" Well my father is not one of those parents," Jo said " He has always encouraged me to pursue my intelligence, as he says is the most important thing a person can have in life."

" You father sounds like a very smart person himself." Lord Dane said, as the song came to a finish.

" He is." Jo smiled, as they bowed to each other.

" If I may, would you let me escort you back to your aunt." Lord Dean said, holding out his arm.

" You may." Jo smiled, then placed her hand on his arm, and walking towards her aunt not knowing of the piercing blue eyes following her.

" So when will you be looking for a bride?" Lady Danbury said to Benedict as they walked up to them.

" Erm." Benedict said, with his eyes wide.

" It was lovely dancing with you!" Jo said, loud enough to get the attention off of Benedict.

" And it was a pleasure dancing with you," Lord Dane said, bowing slightly " I hope I shall speak with you soon."

" I'm sure you will." Jo said, looking up at him and fluttered her eyelashes which made him inhale slightly.

" Goodbye Lady Danbury," Lord Dane said, bowing towards her " Mr Bridgerton."

" What was that?" Benedict said, leaning down.

" What was what?" Jo said, trying to sneak Benedict's drink from his hand.

" A-a-a!" Benedict said, raising his drink away from her " Don't think you can take a sip of my drink here, you are being watched."

" And it is unlady like to even try and drink in front of so many people Josephine!" Lady Danbury said.

" Yes," Benedict said, appearing as he was scolding her " Very unlady like," Lady Danbury nodded then turned away to talk to some guests that had walked up to her " But not so unlady like when everyone else is leaving and no one is watching." He whispered.

" You are the best Ben!" Jo whispered, and Benedict laughed " I'm going to socialise some more! Maybe see if there is a reason why all those debutants are circling around someone."

" Oh there's a Duke present, but I don't think you'd be interested in him dearest." Lady Danbury said, coming out of her short conversation.

" But if he is a Duke, isn't there more of a reason to go meet him?" Jo said, raising an eyebrow.

" Oh no dearest," Lady Danbury said, shaking her head " You won't have any interest in him whatsoever."

" Oh, okay then Auntie," Jo said, her eyebrows furrowed " I shall socialise somewhere else."

" Of course, of course." She smiled, making Jo slightly suspicious on why she wouldn't what her to meet the Duke.