Chapter 19

" Bloody hell Jo!" Benedict said, holding his had to his chest. After Daphne had fallen asleep crying while Jo embraced her she couldn't get to sleep. Would this be her fate too? Will she be forced to marry a man just because he thought it was his right to? Those horrid thoughts of Daphne's present soon plagued Jo's thoughts of her future. So here Jo was, standing in the pitch black hall way and almost frightened half to death by Benedict who also was on his way to the gardens. " You almost scarred me half to death!"

" Well shut your trap before you wake the whole house then!" Jo whisper shouted, and the corners  of Benedict's mouth pulled in apology.

" Sorry," He whispered " What are you doing out of bed?"

" Racing thoughts." Jo said pointing at her head.

" Ahhh." Benedict nodded.

" You?" Jo said.

" Same." Benedict said, and the two gave a knowing smile to each other before they both headed towards the gardens. However, they weren't the only ones with racing thoughts, as they saw a Miss Eloise Bridgerton sat on the swings... smoking!

" Eloise Bridgerton." Benedict said standing in the door way with his arms cross as Jo stood beside him. Eloise froze and slowly turned around, and her heart appeared to drop even more as she saw Jo stood next to her older brother, as she admired the young lady and quite frankly was the only one she was bothered about pleasing and not disappointing.

" Go on then," Eloise said nervously chuckling " Chastise me." And the she placed the cigarette back to her lips and inhaled.

" Spare one for me?" Benedict said, walking over and sitting down on the swing next to her, as Jo walked over and sat on the ground in front of them smiling understandably at Eloise which calmed her immediately. Benedict took the packet of cigarettes from Eloise before lighting one and inhaling with a look of relief on his face " Want one?" He said holding the packet in front of Jo.

" No thank you," Jo said, and Eloise had a look of feeling she had disappointed Jo " I've got my own," Both Benedict and Eloise looked at each other in surprised as Jo pulled her own packet out and lit it as it was placed on her lips. She inhaled then exhaled and felt the familiar feeling of her nerves and thoughts calming " Oh I haven't had one of these since the first event!" She then laid on the ground and looked up at the sky.

" How did you get those?" Benedict said looking at the packet and realising the expensive brand that was only available in America.

" The stable boy was able to get me a few packets before the season started," Jo said, inhaling her cigarette " His uncle helps with England and American trade and he was able to ship them over quicker than usual."

" And where in fact did you store your ' secret stash' in the house?" Benedict said, leaning forward on the swing and squinting at her.

" Now that's is my own little secret Benny boy." Jo winked, and the three carried on smoking in silence for a while.

" Suppose I desire something different." Eloise said suddenly, and Jo and Benedict quickly looked up at her.

" How do you mean?" Benedict said.

" Just... different," Eloise sighed " I watch Daphne and you," she motioned towards Jo " Prepare for these balls, with all of those dresses and many suitors and. I am exhausted. Suppose I want a different life, that I truly believe I am quite capable of something more. Even when I am not allowed to have anything else." She then raised her cigarette to her lips and awaited an answer from the people she respect the most.

" Then I would say," Benedict said " You're not the only one." And both Eloise and Jo looked up at Benedict with surprised expressions on their faces and Benedict smiled. The three then went back into a comfortable silence, until Jo was ready and comfortable enough to talk.

" If," Jo began, and Eloise quickly looked down at her hopefully " If you believe you are capable of something more, than what is stopping you?" And she once again inhaled the smoke.

" Everything," Eloise said, still looking down at Jo " Society."

" No, only the beliefs of society is stopping you," Jo said " No physical thing is stopping you Eloise, you have money, a family that will bring you comfort if you desire not to marry and a good bloody brain that will carry you as far as you desire to go," she then paused and yet again raised her cigarette to her lips but before she inhaled she spoke again " Some of us don't have the privilege on living our dreams El."

" But you can Jo!" Eloise said " You have the money, and the title and-"

" Not the luxury of having older brothers and sisters to take the weight and eyes off of me." Jo stated, and it took those hard words of Jo to finally make Eloise understand Jo's reasoning for getting married. It's wasn't because she wanted to but because she needed to.

" I'm sorry Jo." Eloise said.

" Oh don't worry yourself El," Jo said smiling as she inhaling again " Don't worry yourself."

***

" Hello Josephine." Jo cringed slightly as the doors to the Bridgerton's library opened.

" Hello Collin." Jo said, rolling her eyes as she closed her book.

" Oh no do not stop for me Josephine," Collin said, walking over to her while stopping from moment to moment to run his hands along the many books the Bridgerton's owned " I quite like watching you read."

" What is it that you want?" Jo said, eyeing Collin wearily.

" Cant I enjoy your company without speculation?" Collin said, moving closer to Jo so he was now leaning on her chair.

" No you can't," Jo said, putting her book down and kneeling on her chair so she was face to face with Collin " Tell me now." Collin chuckled slightly before looking down at her angry face.

" Have I ever told you I have a thing for angry girls with lovely curly hair and skin like toffee." Collin said leaning down, and Jo began to blush but quickly turned away as he noticed and chuckled.

" No, but I know one of those statements aren't true." Jo said, standing up and getting her book from the table.

" Which one?" Collin said, doing his signature grin.

" I've never seen Miss Thomson angry before." Jo said, walking away to the door but Collin quickly ran and blocked it.

" Now now, Miss Hydeton. Is there any need?" Collin said, putting his body against the door.

" There is if you're courting her and... well doing whatever you're doing with me, now excuse me." Jo said trying to move past him, but Collin just laughed and grabbed her by her shoulders.

" Whatever I'm doing with you? Don't tell me you're jealous now Josephine!" Collin said raising his eyebrows " You know all you have to do to solve that problem is get rid of Lord what's his face."

" Are you jealous of Arthur?" Jo laughed.

" Of course I'm not, don't be silly." Collin said, rolling his eyes.

" Oh yes you are Mr Bridgerton!" Jo said, poking Collins cheek over and over again until Collin had to grab her hand to stop.

" Josephine, I'm not jealous okay?" Collin leaning in slightly after every word.

" Okay Mr Bridgerton, I'll believe you... for now." Jo smiled.

" Jo! She's here!" Violet shouted from the hall, and they jumped apart.

" Who's here?" Collin said, giving back Jo her hand.

" Something that I'm really starting to regret." Jo said, rubbing her face.