Chapter 21

" You look beautiful dearest," Stephen said, walking into Jo's room with a blue rectangular velvet box in his hand " Excuse us Margery, Alice." Both maids curtsied and quickly walked out of the room. Tensions were high between father and daughter. The two still haven't properly talked since their argument in the carriage.

" Just trying to look like a future bride." Jo said, brushing down her deep pink dress with sequins dancing across painting pretty sights.

" I can see," Stephen said clearing his throat, and looking at the dark pink rose's that swirled with the bun in her hair " Gentleness and Grace, but can also be perceived as young love."

" Well I don't know about love papa." Jo said, avoiding his eyes as she looked into the mirror, styling the odd curls that fell from her bun.

" I want you to wear this," Stephen said after a few moments of awkward silence, and opened the box to show a necklace with a simple pink diamond with other little diamonds surrounding it.

" It was your mothers," Stephen said " I thought she could keep you company tonight while I stand from afar to watch you dance." And he placed the necklace around Jo's neck.

" Thank you papa." Jo smiled, as she held the necklace in her hand.

" Josephine," Stephen said, and took her hand " You know more than anything, if it was possible that you wouldn't be forced into this position right my dear?"

" Yes papa, I understand the position that I am in is not caused by your hand." Jo said, and gave her papa's hand a squeeze before kissing his cheek.

" Good," Stephen smiled " Now, time to drag you to the event!"

***

" How was tea?" Collin said, as the two glided across the floor once he swiped her up as soon as she walked through the door with Stephen. Jo was determined to avoid Collin that night due to the bubbling feelings starting to seep through the cracks, but to her demise Collin was the first thing she saw.

" Oh don't remind me," Jo said rolling her eyes " Just thinking about her eating makes me shiver."

" Why because she chewed loudly? You really do hate that I remember you hitting me for it when we were younger!" Collin laughed and Jo joined in with the laughter.

" Yes I did didn't I?" She sighed with a smile on her face " And if I remember, you always said you hated these events, and you wouldn't dream of attending them."

" Yes well," Collin chuckled " Time and interest have changed over the year."

" Yes I believe they have," Jo smiled, but her smile faulted slightly as she repressed the thought of their simple childhood. Suddenly, feathers began to fall from the ceiling and she gazed up" Well are not these a bit much?" She laughed and when she looked back down she caught Collin staring at her with a strange look in his eyes, and his hand squeezed hers a bit more tightly and they continued to dance.