Chapter 6

" A blue rose's dearest?" Stephen said, taking Jo's hand as she came to the bottom of the staircase " Mystery, the impossible, or the unattainable, I'm sure they mean. Now what sort of impression do you tend to give out?"

" A true one papa," Jo said smirking " I do not want to give the men a wrong impression by making them believe that I am easily won over." She said, making him laugh.

" Ah, and what a true impression that is," Stephen said, smiling down at his daughter. She had never looked better if Jo did say herself. Alice had suggested a hairstyle that Jo had never tried before, and it was much comfortable and less tight than the other ones. Alice had placed her hair into a loose bun at the top of her head, then had clipped back the front pieces of her hair, to make it look as if she had cut her hair so she had a fringe. Alice earlier that day, had made a band out of vines and blue rose petals so it sat just around the bun to appear as a hair tie. And to Jo's request, Alice had brought her Sapphire stud earrings and a necklace that tiny Sapphire roses lay on.

Jo's dress of course look as beautiful on Jo had it did in the box, and had made her seem the most elegant young lady that one had ever seen ( which was most untrue)

" Though I must say, do go easy on them. You are to find a husband, not run them all away." Stephen laughed.

" Of course Papa," Jo said, as they walked towards the door being held open by two servants " I wouldn't dream of it." She said, with a hint of sarcasm that didn't go unnoticed by her father, but had chosen to ignore it.

***

Jo was helped out of her carriage by two of her footmen and gasped. Her aunt and surly out done herself. Everywhere she looked, young lady's and gentlemen were dresses in their best attire, most looking for a marriage while others looked for fun.

" I fear we are not as late as we should've been my dear," Stephen said, as Jo place her hand on the inside of his arm " Your aunt shall be most displeased." He rolled his eyes, making Jo laugh.

" I do not fear my timing for the arrival of this ball with decrease my chance of finding a worthy husband if I may say so freely." Jo said, as they walked up the steps to her aunties house that was already bursting with music.

" Ha and I believe your right!" Stephen said, as Jo placed her dance card on her wrist and walked into the large room that the dancing was being held in.

" And why do you believe that?" Jo said, her eyebrows furrowed as she looked up at her father.

" Because every worthy suitor is now starring at you dearest." Stephen whispered. Jo's eyes widened slightly, but composed herself as she turned around to look. Her Papa was right, almost every man was looking, right at her. Jo could feel her cheeks starting to burn, and her neck redden as she had never truly been the centre of attention before, and was not that fond of it.

" Lady Hydeton," A gentleman said, known as Lord Hughes who approached Jo with a bright smile then bowed slightly " Earl Hydeton," He said, bowing to her Papa, and he gave Hughes a nod back " If I may say Lady Hydeton, you do look most exquisite tonight."

" Why thank you Lord Hughes," Jo said, smiling at him kindly while bowing her head slightly " That is most kind of you."

" Ah I see you know my name," Lord Hughes smiled " I was quite nervous on introducing myself."

" Whatever for?" Jo said, eyebrows slightly furrowed.

" Why you look that beautiful, that I may have tripped over my words and said something stupid!" He laughed, and made Jo laugh too. Jo still couldn't fully understand why Lord Hughes would be so nervous around her, he was good looking that was true with dark raven hair, deep brown eyes and a chiselled jaw.

" If I may Lady Hydeton, I would be most honoured if-" Lord Hughes began, but was interrupted by a very familiar voice.

" I may steal a dance." Collin said, walking up behind Lord Hughes, with that all too knowing cheeky smile.

" I believe Mr Bridgerton," Lord Hughes said, turning towards Collin who was now stood next to him " That I was asking the lovely Lady Hydeton for a dance."

" Ahh but I am afraid that I already have my name down for her first dance Lord Hughes." Collin said, pulling a fake frown.

" Where?" Lord Hughes said, looking at the very blank dance card dangling from her wrist.

" Why right," Collin said, taking the dance card in his hand gently and quickly wrote his name " Here." Lord Hughes glared at Collin with annoyance and a tinge of hatred in his eyes " If I may have this dance Lady Hydeton." He said, holding out his hand while trying not the laugh at the formality.

" You may," Jo said, rolling her eyes slightly at Collins attitude towards the Lord " I shall dance with you later on, if that pleases you Lord Hughes?"

" Of course," Lord Hughes said, bowing slightly at Jo " I shall be most looking forward to that moment." Jo smiled at him, then nodded her head slightly at her father and he did the same back.

" Stephen." Collin smiled, as he turned his and Jo's back on him and faced towards the dance floor.

" Collin." Stephen said, slightly amused while Lord Hughes stood there slightly gaping at the first name basis Collin and Stephen had, obviously not knowing the friendship between both families as Jo and Collin walked onto the dance floor, all eyes on them.

Authors not:

I was just so inspired that I had to write another chapter straight away 😆😆 Now I have birds chirping outside my window, good luck me for trying to get to sleep 😅