Chapter 39

The morning after Jo was practically skipping around the house, giddy on her current proposal. Well secret proposal... She couldn't exactly tell her papa that she snuck out in the middle of the night to meet a certain Bridgerton, which ended up with them getting engaged and... kissing in such a way that would not be appropriate to polite society.

Due to this, Jo had taken it upon herself to
attack her engagement ring to a necklace, and hide the ring down her cleavage.

" Why are you so happy?" Marg' looked at Jo suspiciously as they sat in the kitchen, helping cook with biscuits they had decided to make for Violet Bridgerton in congratulations for her daughter marriage a Duke.

" Can I not be happy?" Jo smiled at Marg' playfully as she licked the spoon which was covered in batter from the excess mixture of the batter for the biscuits.

" Not when your dearest friend has gone on her honeymoon and probably won't see you for a month or so..." Marg' took the spoon from Jo disapproving look as she always told Jo eating batter would make her feel sick.

" I did truly think you would be greatly saddened by Miss Daphne's farewell." Alice cocked her head to the side curiously as she leaned on the kitchen counter. Honestly Alice was sad as well, due to Daphnes leaving causing Rose to leave as well.

" Rose's leaving has upset you has it?" Jo smiled sympathetically at Alice, as she placed her hand on hers comfortingly.

" Yes it has Miss Jo, but Rose and I always knew this would happen one day once you young ladies got married," Alice smiled sadly, but her sad look quickly turned into a curious one " But you and Miss Daphne have been dearest friends way longer than Rose and I knew each other... does that not sadden you Miss?"

" Of course it does!" Jo frowned defensively " Can one not be happy and sad?" She smiled mischievously as the cook pulled the biscuit tray from the oven.

" I mean... a miracle has happened! Simon actually got married! I would not think it possible, but it happened! Is that not something to happy about?" Jo smiled brightly at the two ladies as she prepared a basket for the biscuits to go in.

" True..." Marg' nodded slowly, but was still suspicious over Jo's perky and happy attitude.

" Then that's that." Jo smiled happily, before humming a tune she and Collin danced to and one of the events as she packed the basket with pretty roses and silk fabrics. Meanwhile, Alice and Marg' looked at one another with confused faces to Jo's sudden happiness, considering this entire season had been a rollercoaster for her.

" Darling," Stephan walked into the kitchen " Are those biscuits almost finished? I'm famished and the Bridgerton's will only have breakfast waiting for us for a short period of time." He groaned as he rubbed his stomach.

" Almost papa!" Jo smiled happily in a sing song voice as she packed away the biscuits into the basket, which made Stephen frowned in confusion, as Jo was never this perky.

" What's wrong with her?" Stephen murmured to Marg' with a confused expression.

" No idea My Lord," Marg' sighed, and shook her head as she placed her hands on her hips " She's been like this all morning, and never in my twenty-one years of caring for Miss Josephine, has she been so..."

" Joyous." Alice also stared in confusion at the perky Jo, and both Marg' and Stephan nodded in agreement.

" I'm ready papa!" Jo smiled as she grabbed the basket and happily skipped out of the kitchen and towards the front door of their home, leaving Stephan to give the ladies one last confused look before following Jo.

***

" Thank you so much Jo!" Violet smiled and hugged Jo tightly when she received the basket of biscuits from Jo.