Chapter 13

It has now been a week since that very awkward dinner at the Bridgerton home, and now it was time for the second social event in the season.

" Pen!" Jo called out after she had excused herself from the swarm of men pestering her about her first dance, not even expecting one name on her card.

" Hello Jo!" Penelope smile, as Jo came to a stop next to her " How are you finding this evening?"

" Tiering honestly, I do wish I was in your shoes." Jo smiled and placed her hand on top of Penelope's.

" And I wish I were in yours." Penelope said, admiring her pale pink dress and the Rose that tied part of her hair up while letting the rest curl down her back and around her face.

" Shall we switch places!" Jo smiled " I doubt anyone would know!"

" I'm sure they would miss your perfect face." Pen said bashfully.

" That would be replaced by yours," Jo smiled and cupped one of Penelope cheeks " I'm guessing your mama is not here, due to your not to yellow dress?"

" Oh yes," Penelope laughed " She had to stay home due to Miss Thomson being ill."

" Oh, what a shame." Jo said, concerned on the outside but almost joyful on the inside.

" Pen!" Collin said, walking towards the two.

" Collin!" Pen jumped, and quickly lowered herself into a curtsy and Collin bowed back.

" Are you not going to curtsy?" Collin said, raising an eyebrow to Jo " Awfully rude of you wouldn't you say?"

" Your head is already awfully big, I'm afraid it might explode if I do." Jo smirked at Collin and he rolled his eyes playfully before taking Jo's wrist and smiled down at her card.

" No offers I'm guessing?" Collin said, one hand on her wrist and the other on her card.

" More than enough for your knowledge." Jo said rolling her eyes.

" But you still didn't accept a dance?" Collin said, and Jo couldn't think of a reasonable answer for this without telling him that she secretly wanted him to be her first dance like the first event " Don't worry, I shall fix that for you." And just like the first event he wrote his name in the first and last place of her card.

" I-I did not know you would be here." Penelope said, once Collin had let go of Jo's wrist.

" Sorry to disappoint," Collin smiled, and Penelope laughed, but his eyes flickered to Jo every so often " Have you seen Miss Thomson?" And both Jo's and Penelope's moods declined.

" She is ill," Penelope explained " My mama had to stay home with her, papa had to chaperone," and she motioned over to her father having a drink " I-I'm quite enjoying the fact that he is here, mama would never allow me to wear a dress like this. Not erm, yellow enough I think."

" Mr Bridgerton," Cressida Cowper moved forward and curtsied and Collin bowed " I believed our own me a dance this evening, and I have only one more space remaining on my card at present." Jo could feel a strong urge to put this prissy girl on her bottom, but that would be very unlady like of course so maybe just trip her accidentally.

" How convenient." Penelope said, and Cressida spilled her drink on Penelope, and Jo rushed to her side.

" Are you okay Pen?" Jo said, taking Penelope by both of her arms.

" Penelope, I did not see you there!" Cressida said mocking concern.

" Of course you didn't." Jo glared at her, and Cressida glared back.

" I'm afraid I cannot offer you that dance Miss Cowper," Collin said, and Cressida's head whipped round " I am to escort Miss Hy-"

" Featherington to the floor," Jo said letting go of Penelope's arms and stepped in front Cressida. Jo then looked at Collin and nodded, he then held out his hand towards Penelope and she took it and they walked towards the dance floor " You see miss Cowper, you may have riches, but I have more. You may have somewhat of a title, but mine is better-"

" Are you threatening me miss-" Cressida interrupted Jo, but Jo then stopped her.

" It's Lady Courtesy to you," Jo said, slight demand in het voice, and Cressida immediately was quite " And no I am not threatening you, just a warning that it's better of to be a friend to a Countess, rather than an enemy. So let's not try to embarrass my friends again, otherwise," she then puffed out Cressida's sleeves " Something may happen to you. Be grateful that it was only a loss of a dance partner tonight." And with that Jo walked away and soon found herself a dance partner, Lord Dane to be exact.

" I am so pleased to be your first dance partner tonight Miss Hydeton," Lords Dance smiled as they walk towards the dance floor " It seems at this season the conversations that we have are the only ones I enjoy!" I laughed.

" How kind you are Lord Dane!" Jo smiled, if she was being honest with herself she also did wbu their conversations, those were the only ones that  she did not tell Collin about, because there was nothing funny about them. Lord Dane was funny, kind, romantic and wasn't set on having children as soon as he had gotten married. Right now, Lord Dane is looking like the man she will one day say I do too, and it only increased Collins jealousy when he saw Jo and him dancing together.